BA A380s Target JFK & Asia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

• Anonymous

Bucksnet
    Participant

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-01/british-airways-to-target-new-york-asia-with-a380-superjumbos.html

First routes for BA’s A380s are JFK, SIN, HKG and PEK. I can’t see BA having 525 seats though; more like 425.

RichHI1
    Participant

“BA currently operates 11 times a day between London and New York”?
    Journalists, God bless ’em. I make it 7 from LHR and 2 from LCY.

Bucksnet
    Participant

They no doubt include EWR as New York as well Rich.

RichHI1
    Participant

Ah that would explain it!
    I always think think of Newark as NJ rather than NY but it comes under PANYNJ so fair enough..

I wonder if that means they will fly A380’s to EWR? I don’t see them dredging them out of the Thames having overshot at LCY…

BGIWorldTraveller
    Participant

RichHI1

The A380’s won’t go to EWR..

———–

Not sure how the journalists worked out the 11 flights a day, but it’s currently 7 BA LHR-JFK, 3 BA LHR-EWR, 2 BA LCY-JFK, 4 AA LHR-JFK so maybe they were couting BA + AA codeshares…

—————

I can’t see BA having 525 seats either. This an airline which has 337 seats on a 747-400 while others have 451. The most they’ll have is 450 IMHO.

RichHI1
    Participant

That was initmation, the article having focussed on JFK, I presumed the journalist just had not checked his press release for facts.
    As far as I know EWR has not hardened for A380’s. I belive ORD, IAD, SFO and LAX have not sure about MIA, HNL, DFW or ATL.
    Does Craig or anyone else know what the A380 alternate is for JFK, I presume IAD?

BGIWorldTraveller
    Participant

MIA is A380 capable. Lufthansa has been flying theirs there since June 2011.

willfromlondon
    Participant

Pretty sure it will be (or can be I should say) YYZ (Toronto) – EK fly the A380 there, and it’s but a short hop from JFK.

LeTigre
    Participant

I find stories like this really interesting, all BA said before was about destinations like LAX and JFK but it will be great to see SIN, PEK and HKG receive A380 service as these are routes where competing airlines offer far better hard products, especially in economy.

Also exciting is the Dreamliner focus on Asia…at this rate I might one day get to go on one…shame that day is a long,long time away!

RichHI1
    Participant

Interestingly I see Fed EX is on A380 Freighter order list and EWR is one of their major hubs, so I guess EWR will take it eventually.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Rich, HNL is capable of taking A380s, though there are not scheduled services there using that aircraft. QF has landed A380s there on a couple of occasions for medical diverts, the most recent being QF 11 (VH-OQI) on 18 February.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think quite a bit is driven by cargo need as well.

That was certainly one of the attractions of the new 777-300ERs, and the reasoning for rolling them out on the routes chosen.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Oh dear VK, how little you know. Obviously making a comment of your own, and not reading from a press release. 🙂

The A380 does not actually have that much cargo capacity, after passenger baggage that is, because of the double decks.

openfly
    Participant

BA have already announced that the second route to have the A380 is JNB…….!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls