Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

connorJohnson
    Participant

does anything think that BA would consider putting a A380 on LHR -JFK route instead of a 747 or is that in place already?

comments and suggestions welcome below

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Not for the foreseeable future.

JFK T7 is not A380 equipped, and the BA/AA shuttle service is about frequency for business travellers rather than high capacity. Though of course that will change as demand increases.

Some discussion about BA moving out of T7 (which it shares with United, a legacy of a previous alliance lost in the mists of time).

Spot on SM. JFK is a shuttle service.

Next A380 BA route…. I would bet on another US destination or perhaps Sao Paulo.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Apart from technical reasons with that terminal, an A380 would be ideal in my opinion, as AA and BA have many slots between them, and combining two with one A380 flight would not hurt anyone, an enable BA to use that slot for another route to one of the many booming countries around the world that they do not currently serve.

GRU must be in with a chance but I am surprised they have not announced it already, but maybe they were waiting to see where the England football team would be playing in the World Cup.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Or what about India ? Until now the authorities there have banned foreign carriers from operating their A380s so as not to disadvantage local carriers.

But local media reports the ban might soon be lifted.

LH, EK and SQ have wanted to operate their A380s into Delhi and Mumbai. So they can now revise their plans. BA might decide the join them.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/et-now/daily/dgca-nods-for-a380-to-fly-into-india/videoshow/27544523.cms

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

They should put one on the Malta route, to cope with all the extra pax that SM says they will get.

They could even do 2 rotations per day and take over the whole market.

OMG, this forum is getting out of hand.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

We’ve had the LH A380 at MLA, why not BA “flying the flag?”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQqZ2zR3-tM

SergeantMajor
    Participant

It is indeed, alexpo1. Tedious, and not really conducive to adult debate.

sparkyflyer as I set out, the BA/AA JFK services are about frequency not (yet) capacity. An A380 would be useful if frequency could be maintained, as well as filling the plane and sustaining margins. But as Qantas has found, their decision to go early with the A380 hasn’t proved economically justified, and smaller, more efficient aircraft are best suited to many routes.

I’m sure it will happen, but not for a good while yet.

BA A380s hit Jo’burg in February, and Washington DC is the next US hub but not until September 2014.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls