BA A380 Singapore

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• SergeantMajor
    Participant

There’s always some confusion on the terminology.

Lie flat can mean a “wedgy” angled seat.

BA has offered fully flat beds in its Club World product – getting on for 15 years – ever since the bed concept was introduced in Business Class. By, ahem, BA.

I fail to understand why airlines which only launched a fully flat product on a few, limited routes in 2013 deserve greater praise than BA’s fleet-wide consistent long haul club world offering, installed on all its 100-ish long haul fleet for nearly 15 years.

K1ngston
    Participant

SergeantMajor thats surely the point that the poster meant? Why launch such a great aircraft taking BA into the next century with last centuries interior in its premium cabin?? We all want BA to innovate and lead not follow, am I the only person longing to see “The Worlds Favourite Airline” again??

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I think you misread my post.

None of the cabins on the A380 featured aboard BA aircraft “in the last century”. They are all new, most within a year of two of being introduced.

Had the A380 been delivered when expected, all the cabins would have been brand new, and first seen aboard the A380.

esselle
    Participant

A lot of comments about BA’s 380 on this and other threads seem to hint at the quest for mediocrity.

Crumbs on the seat, poor quality IFE, wholly unpredicatble food quality, inconsistent service, etc., all make up for an uninspiring package, normally sold at highish prices.

Given the choice between BA and SQ to SIN, it would be SQ every time.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I take it, therefore, that you don’t actually fly BA, then esselle?

esselle
    Participant

Never by choice, SM, no, but I do have plenty of experience of flying them over the years.

Why would you choose F in BA over SQ (especially as SQ may well be cheaper) ?

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well A380 or not I can’t imagine choosing BA between LHR-SIN.

After all, the competition on the SIA direct service offers you a suite in first class versus well an enhanced business class seat. In business class you get a four across full flat seat versus seven or eight across in a coffin like design.

One airline provides service with I think it’s eight more cabin crew on board than the other and the crew are always very pleasant and consistent.

One airline provides decent portions of interesting and edible food with an option to book the cook in premium cabins where you have a choice of many dishes, the other offers, well, it’s pot luck really whether it will be burned and if you’re in C you can have pudding or cheese but not both.

If you start looking at the one stop competition well close to home you have LH with their excellent F product on an A380, if you look to the Gulf then there are lots of choices of suites in F and a variety of C products none of which are seven – eight across.

We’ve heard lots about BA having a more advanced A380 but nothing about what it does for the passenger experience which clearly is nothing since the on board premium products really do not match up to the competition.

As for the consistency argument, I’ll agree BA have a consistent product, it’s consistently awful, consistently outdated, the crew are consistently variable and the food is consistently poor/inedible.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Experience “over the years” really isn’t relevant to commentary about BA’s current offering.

I rarely fly to Singapore (four times in the past decade, excluding SYD trips) but I’ve always flown BA or Qantas (when it was a JV). Oh, and Swiss via BKK, once which I liked very much.

In the past, I’d mostly opted for BA – often because it was in fact cheaper than Singapore Airlines, if booked in advance, particularly with the 10% shareholder discount from which I benefit. A guaranteed fully flat bed, and flight times which suited my schedule. Not to mention an extremely good frequent flyer programme, with a bonus for Gold cardholders and mileage/avios I can actually redeem on routes I want to fly for leisure, in any cabin.

The suggestion that BA is more expensive than other airlines is disingenuous.

Plus I enjoyed the benefit of “double dipping” via BA’s onbusiness scheme.

Since QF introduced its new F aboard the A380, I think it’s the best cabin flying.

Often very reasonable cost. Great friendly service, terrific lounge in SYD and delicious food, plus IFE which aligns with my interests. I’m not interested in automaton service seen on many carriers which serve Far Eastern destinations.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi SM
    Hope you’re having a pleasant afternoon

You’re right about me armchair speculating. I don’t have access to BA’s accounts.
    On the other hand I do have access to SQ’s timetable and also BA’s.

10:55 ? 07:35+1 Singapore Airlines 317 M T W T F S S LHR-SIN
    13:05 ? 09:45+1 Singapore Airlines 305 M T W T F S S LHR-SIN
    18:15 ? 14:55+1 Singapore Airlines 319 M – – T F S S LHR-SIN
    18:30 ? 15:05+1 British Airways 11 M T W T F S S LHR-SIN
    21:55 ? 18:40+1 British Airways 15 M T W T F S S LHR-SIN
    22:05 ? 18:45+1 Singapore Airlines 321 M T W T F S S LHR-SIN

I suggest that 4 flights a day compared to 2 , especially since SQ has increased capacity by utilising it’s 380’s whilst BA reduced capacity from moving from 747’s to 777’s , means I don’t have to be Einsteintastic to realise that SQ is the dominant carrier out of LHR.

All credit to BA, trying to cash in on QF’s woes though !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My main focus for flying BA and yes I would use the A380 if SIN was a current destination is for the AVIOS which has given me free European travel (from London) for nearly 2 years and is fully flex. as well as a wonderful lounge where I can eat decent food (now) and drink superb whisky…

However innovative Club World was at the time of launch, it is now stale… saying that, the seat itself is extremely comfy to sleep in.

esselle
    Participant

SM

I suppose I flew 4 sectors in F and 4 in J on BA during 2013, so I think I have a sufficiently current view of what is happening on board, ( albeit not on their 380 ) and my experience seems close to the analysis JohnHarper has recently made.

If, as it seems, you haven’t tried SQ, it is a shame, as I think you would then have a broader perspective. On pricing, BA F over the next few weeks in in the low 9K’s, whereas SQ F in in the high 6k’s.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As canucklad noted above, BA’s new A380 service will take advantage of the fact that Qantas no longer flies between London and Singapore.

There are a good number of travellers, including contributors to this Forum, who when Sydney-bound may prefer to stopover en route in Singapore rather than somewhere in the Gulf.

JohnHarper
    Participant

AMcWhirter – 19/02/2014 15:42 GMT

But surely the A380 will only be of an advantage if it is continuing all the way to SYD? You can fly with BA on a 773 at the moment which would appear to be the option for the second half of the journey.

If a stop in SIN is what is wanted then SIA offer four services a day LHR-SIN-SYD.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

JohnHarper – It’s logical the A380 continue to Sydney. But then the utilisation and low fare yield would mitigate against that. But who knows what might happen in future.

canucklad
    Participant

An idea for BA….

Use the 380’s extra profit generating to allow passengers to stay over in SIN for free before continuing on the 777 service the next day !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls