BA A380 J vs BA 787 J

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Speedbird189
    Participant

Planning to visit the Washington area in a couple of months to see relatives. A380 currently services Dulles; 787 will service BWI from 1st August.

This will be more a leisure trip and so I’m in no particular rush with regards to how long immigration checks will take on the ground. However, lounges; hard products; services et al will be considered – would you prefer J on the A380 or J on the 787?

Bullfrog
    Participant

787 .. I can’t comment on the seating. As an aircraft, the 787 is noticeably better on ventilation, less dry air and a bodily ‘feel good’ factor after disembarking.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would take the seat / aircraft that has the most space in J.

My decision would be based on the A380, upstairs, window seat with the additional space of the side locker.

Never been downstairs on the 380 and if I am honest, I cant remember if the 787 I flew to KL had a side locker….

Bath_VIP
    Participant

My father travels this route regularly and he always goes via Baltimore.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Overall, I think the J experience is much better in a 787. As Bullfrog says, the pressuriation etc is far better and there is less of a feeling of exhaustion at the end of the flight.

I’ve said it before but the A380, a remarkable plane as it is, feels like it belongs to the last generation of aircraft not the next.

SenatorGold
    Participant

The lounge may be better at Dulles as the Galleries lounge was refurbished two years ago.

You need to choose your seat carefully on the BA A380 as all seats are not equal. Seats 51A, 51K, 52A and 52K in the smaller forward cabin on the upper deck are good bets. That said I know people who prefer the lower deck as the cabin is wider.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Speedbird another consideration is location, Baltimore is quite a way out of DC.
    I would be swayed on this one by the A380, indeed I did this flight recently, albeit in Premium Y, and a good factor is the sideboard if you have the window seat, and the 787 has those silly electronic tinted blinds, however as Bullfrog said, the air quality and how you feel on arrival is for sure true.

Speedbird189
    Participant

Thank you everyone. Fantastic advice – I’m inclined to book the 787 to BWI now. What is the lounge like at BWI, is the airport good? 🙂

Gold-2K
    Participant

As it’s a 4 class 787, remember there is a small cabin of J (2 rows only) behind First and forward of door 2. It’s very quiet, no baby bassinet and very little through traffic.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Lounge at BWI (if it hasn’t changed in the last 5 years) is fine. When I used it, it was quiet and it feels like the BA flight is the main user of it. Don’t think it had apron views but it was a decent size.

BTW, I know you’re not too worried about immigration queues but since few foreign airlines fly to BWI, it does make a difference in my opinion.

Another factor that persuades my father to use BWI instead of IAD is that it is quicker to get to North or East Washington from BWI. Finally, you can also catch the train from BWI into Washington as the airport has its own Amtrak station.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I used the Amtrak train to reach BWI from Washington Union years ago.

It’s true that BWI has its own railway station but it’s some distance from the terminal and you need to take a shuttle bus.

Details here:

http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/ground-transportation/trans/amtrak

sparkyflier
    Participant

Re IAD, if on time the flight arrives just before the others from Europe,and when I did it immigration was actually a breeze, which was good as I was dreading it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls