BA – a couple of observations

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Galleries South is vastly superior to the F Lounge (at least on Saturday evenings).

Peter from Glasgow, I hope you will read this…you are a true credit to BA (109 to Dubai last night) and you literally made my flight. I hope to meet you again.

Faith in BA restored!

Swissdiver
    Participant

What was making the F lounge superior was the wines and champagnes and some of the à la carte food. But no more… Wines and champagnes are average and the à la carte food not to be tested. So I guess it is now depending on the crowd…

SwissExPat
    Participant

The only real attraction of the F lounge in the J Walker Blue label.

Agreed the wine offering there is now very average.

KarlMarx
    Participant

BA has just invested very heavily in the A380, B787 and some extra A320s – what would you rather have, decent aircraft and average lounge wine or clapped out old bangers going tech all the time and 1er crus?

Swissdiver
    Participant

A B747 upper deck and great wine for me rather than crappy nonsense joystick planes (aka Airbus).

KarlMarx
    Participant

Personally I prefer to be in more reliable and comfortable modern aircraft and leave the 50 year old technology in museums, but each to their own. Having said that, I don’t find BA to have made best use of the A380, from a passenger perspective.

esselle
    Participant

I flew F on the BA A380 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The extra knee/foot space you get when sleeping, compared to 744/777 is a plus, but the whole thing is miles behind eg EK/SQ when it comes to “special”.

The on board catering offer is also a little odd. On a mid morning departure to LAX, they offer a la carte or tasting menus, which are pretty OK, and then afternoon tea. But this is a 10 hour plus sector, and if you want, for example, a savoury snack, you are out of luck. There is nothing available. It seems the much talked about BA burger ” isn’t available any more, they stopped doing it”.

I was, helpfully, referred to the Club World kitchen…………..where I found a low fat granola bar. Yummy yummy.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m with Swissdiver on this one. 747 over 380 anytime. It’s such a shame BA never ordered the 747-800 instead of the 380. Now that is a plane and a half!

TominScotland
    Participant

I would love to fly the 747-800, LP, having never done so.

BUT, if it is so good, why has it been such a flop in sales terms? There must be major drawbacks to it – does anyone know what they are??

EU_Flyer
    Participant

@TominScotland – 03/11/2014 08:38 GMT

Re 747-8 My understanding is the 777-300ER has made the 747-8 irrelevant. Plus 2 engines are cheaper than 4.

I get the impression the 747-8 was a desperate attempt by Boeing to stay in the double decker jumbo market and avoid having to kill off the 747 passenger product.

That said, the 747-8 is very popular as a freighter.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The question of capacity is key. The A380 promise was appealing subject to a high occupancy rate. But it is not there consistently. So many airlines now feel the A380 is not the best solution excepted on certain routes. And some of them can’t work out now Emirates is everywhere with is huge A380 fleet. Will this be a revival for the B747-8? I doubt very unfortunately.

Senator
    Participant

I always measure my “value” on the basis of relative and not absolute terms. That means I compare the BA offer in terms of money spent and value obtained vs. competition. I stack my European competitors as one group, Asian as another and measure these separately.

Going back to @alexpo1’s original post about Galleries and Galleries First. Nothing that Swiss, Lufthansa and Austrian have (my European reference point) come anywhere close to this offer for the same status level, or class of service. The Concorde Room (CCR) is not of the same standard as Lufthansa’s First Class Terminal (FCT) or the First Class Lounges (FCLs) of the Lufthansa Group.

I spend a fair amount of time in the Galleries First lounge in T5. Always in the same spot: Champagne Bar. Have never seen more than five people at the same time. An oasis of calmness to me..

I took the time today to provide positive feedback on ba.com re. abovementioned member of CC. First time I have done this and I sincerely hope it reaches the person concerned.

This in spite of having to ask for a glass of Champagne prior to take-off and request an amenity kit and blanket… and the breakfast was a joke I’m sure.

‘Would you like some nuts to chew on Madam?’….to lovely lady from Suffolk on other side of dividing screen.

I nearly fell out of my seat…not hard to do in CW!!

Have a great weekend folks.

canucklad
    Participant

Brilliant alexpo……took me 5 minutes before I got it !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls