BA 826 Diversion : Passengers Right To Know

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• esselle
    Participant

What I struggle to understand with this story is how the entire cabin and flight crew needed to be taken to hospital for a check up, and yet seemingly none of the passengers did.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

rferguson
    Participant

I agree Esselle it is a strange one. The only explanation I can think of (and this is just a guess – i’ve no actual info apart from the link posted) was that it was in a relatively confined area (seems to be the upper deck) and crew with physical exertion (walking, pushing/pulling trolley carts etc) were more affected than customers seated in their seats or sleeping.

esselle
    Participant

Possibly, rferguson, but the flight crew are at the front on the lower deck. It’s not even April 1st!

rferguson
    Participant

I’m not sure the flight crew could smell anything in the flight deck. But I would imagine if they were informed that the crew on the upper deck were donning their smoke hoods they’d be making immediate plans to divert.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I am speculating here, but could a trade union member have reported the incident to the TU, who contacted the company to express concern, leading to all crew being screened, as a response?

It sounds plausible and (as a personal opinion) not an unreasonable action.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=772177]What I struggle to understand with this story is how the entire cabin and flight crew needed to be taken to hospital for a check up, and yet seemingly none of the passengers did.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

[/quote]

The company would of arranged for the crew to go to the hospital following the diversion, and its because of this, via the press, that you have heard about it. A flight would not need necessarily to divert for 1 or 2 passengers or even a dozen, if the situation could be sorted in flight via medical teams that crew have contact with, but it would have to divert for a dozen of the crew, as that flight would no longer be legal.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Here is the ATC discussion when BA 286 declares a ‘PAN’ and diverts when fumes are detected on the flight …..
    Very interesting when the pilot describes the fumes as ‘Toxic’ !

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls