BA 777 Vegas-Gatwick on fire – passengers safe

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Firstly the QF incident….. The commander chose not to evacuate, deeming that his passengers would be safer on-board whilst the emergency services secured the apron. If memory serves me, they were on board for quite a considerable time whilst the fire services tried to stop the engine with water ?

Back to the engines and the FAA directive……
    And unless I’m missing something here, the engines in this incident where not part of this directive, as the specific part (compressor) concerned was older and of a different design.

And Simon, you’re right. Thankfully most of us haven’t had to evacuate. Personally there’s been a couple of occasions when I was expecting to be shown the brace position and all that goes with it…but I’ve never been tested to see how I would personally re-act. But I’m sure airlines /aviation industry have conducted research into how groups of people respond. Was watching a documentary on the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustav last night and a company using behavioural software accurately predicted the survival rate.

MrDarwin
    Participant

With regards to aircraft certification and evacuations within X seconds/minutes, I’m left wondering about the integrity of such tests and how they are conducted.

Are the tests performed based on 100% fully compliant passengers who follow the crew’s instructions to the T? Or do they allow for a human element in terms of reactions to stressful/dangerous situations, e.g. do they factor in time for passengers freezing up (blocking aisles), taking luggage with them etc.?

Airlines are removing toilets and reconfiguring aircraft to maximise passenger numbers on planes of all shapes and sizes. As they do so I just wonder about the safety of cramming in even more non-compliant pasengers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nice to see the Captain speaking his mind.. where cabin crew are unable.. or perhaps it’s due to his impending retirement. I missed the LBC interview, but here is the report from Sky News..

BA and airlines take note…!

http://news.sky.com/story/1554989/ba-engine-fire-pilot-criticises-passengers

ba747fan1
    Participant

I don’t think any of us can say how we could react in such a situation and so I think people should stop criticising passengers who were probably scared! And luckily the flight was Gatwick crew who had experience and not the mixed fleet who fly the lhr vegas route and who are inexperienced and so we should just be happy the lgw crew made all safe.

openfly
    Participant

While the whole world is patting the Captain and cabin crew on the back….let’s not forget the two co-pilots. Yes, the captain did a great job, but he needed the co-pilots to effect that job.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

MrMichael, the thought never entered my mind 😉

Anthony, yes, I read that. Mrs. LP was there just after the fire happened and her flight was delayed. I believe the rebuilding contract has already been awarded to a firm with certain connections!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

openfly – 19/09/2015 07:12 BST

Yes, it was a team effort, as the captain made clear in interviews.

Having heard the interview, though, it was all achieved under his leadership and I can understand why the crew would have followed the lead of this captain, who struck me as being an impressive individual.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks FDOS….I hadn’t seen that. A good job by everybody, especially the Fire Dept….very impressive.

John Lewis have almost sold out of the JNB BA 747 saucepans, so will be glad to have the new range of 777 saucepans delivered soon!!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

openfly – 19/09/2015 19:57 BST

If interested, you can find the interview on here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3227162/British-Airways-plane-bursts-flames-Las-Vegas-McCarran-Airport-off.html

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Flyerboy1 – 17/09/2015 12:12 BST

I don’t recall ever having made any kind of derogatory comments about the performance of BA cabin crew – quite the reverse in fact. My criticisms have been entirely of those selfish passengers who chose to put themselves and their own convenience before those of other passengers in a potentially life-threatening situation.

To demonstrate that BA does (despite all appearances to the contrary) have a sense of humour about itself and the training required to make the grade as BA cabin crew, PamAnn on what it takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jy7ouJbC0k

YellowBelly
    Participant

Does anyone have an update on this plane? Is it scrap or recoverable?

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Scrap, according to, er, a well-placed source.

An old aircraft and the fire burned a damn great hole in the fuselage.

Ricjackal
    Participant

Im sure theres an airline of 2 somewhere on the congo could do a good patch up job and get fly her flying again ………………

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A JAL evacuation reported on Sky News.

http://news.sky.com/video/1646956/passengers-evacuate-flight-in-snow

A few passengers still appear to have left the aircraft with luggage..

Another reason why passengers MUST listen to the safety briefing.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Aircraft has been repaired by Boeing. New engine fitted, so if runs go well next week then the ferry flight will follow shortly after.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls