BA 777 Vegas-Gatwick on fire – passengers safe

Back to Forum

This topic contains 89 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  Poshgirl58 23 Feb 2016
at 20:05

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I understand the crew did well. They are allowed to open the doors on the same side as the fire provided they consider a safe distance exists. The priority is to get everyone off ASAP, the more doors you can use the quicker that will be.

Agree with the sentiments about the baggage, prosecute or ban them.

HarryMonk
    Participant

How many of the BA crew had beards?

Believe it or not only a few weeks ago BA crew and their beards was a topic of discussion on this board. It seemed very important to some posters rather than the ability as was shown today for said crew to evacuate an aircraft

Stowage222
    Participant

From what I can see from the images, doors 2 and 3 left were (correctly) not opened as they were by the fire hazard. The crew members responsible for those exits would have redirected passengers to the other doors. If there were no direct flames nor obvious danger visible from the doors at 1 and 4 left they should be used.

YellowBelly
    Participant

It will be interesting to see what compensation BA offers to these passengers. I know someone who was on the BA 777 plane that crash landed short of the Heathrow runway a few years ago. He was uninjured but to ensure he did not claim further he received a holiday for his family travelling in in Club World (he chose the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas) and an EC Gold card valid for several years.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

People were queuing up for compo forms after the Cape Town incident last year. Mrs TOH and I didn’t bother (a) because we were mightily impressed with BA’s performance and (b) because we had an extra day in Cape Town in a very nice hotel.

I did contact them to say how impressed we were with the cabin crew, and that we wouldn’t be claiming but some Avios would be nice and they gave us a boatload.

canucklad
    Participant

according to the news, a passenger on the plane reported that the cabin crew went to open an emergency exit, deemed it unsafe and directed passengers to evacuate from the rear doors.

An expert on Sky News said it was totally acceptable to use doors on the fire side, because the distance from the fire negated risk. It’s a balancing act between speed of evacuation and spread of fire …..

So well done, once again…..I wonder if they were mixed fleet lol

Swissdiver
    Participant

Big thumb up for BA. What impressed me the most is the total lack of emotion in the captain’s voice. Of course I was not expecting him to shout, but that level of control is amazing.

It leaves open though the question of the side of the evacuation… Why on the left side?

On a side note – it is these highly professional experienced Cabin Crew that Walsh and Co are gunning at – shame on Walsh/Williams.

+1 Bigdog

EruditeSheep
    Participant

@ canucklad – 10/09/2015 10:31 BST

I guess the imperative here is to open as many doors as possible to expedite the evacuation process. Since the emergency arose whilst the aircraft was accelerating into a presumed headwind, then the fire and smoke would have been blown away from the forward doors once the aircraft had stopped. The clear guidance about not using the over-wing exits for such an emergency would have been followed.

I always keep my shoes on until after take-off, to avoid risk of foot injury (notably the heel) if an event occurred that required evacuation via the escape slides. Some airlines (e.g. SIA) do not hand out flight socks in J/F class until after take-off, presumably for this very reason. I wonder how widely this practice is followed?

EUFlyer
    Participant

What impresses me with cases like this is the speed in which crew go into ‘safety mode’. As with the BA38 incident at Heathrow as well as Asiana at SFO and others, the cabin crew, it appears, received little warning there would an emergency evacuation and still managed to get everyone off safely, bags and the expected strained ankle excepted.

Crew often tell me that the most alert period for trhem is take off and landing and, in circumstances where I’ve been chatting to them at an exit seat at this time – have sometimes been told to basically shut up (very understandable given my tendency towards verbal diorrhea).

We may sometimes complain about silly things like missed drinks and overheated lobster, but these crew come into their own in times like these. Some say crew from western carriers are better at this, but the Asiana incident at San Fran shows how professional non western crew can deal with what would have been a horrendous incident for them (the plane did a cartwheel!).

Hats off to cabin crew from all airlines. They may occasionally be snappy, lazy, indifferent or arrogant (like many of us can be)… but they can also be the difference between us getting off a plane alive or dead.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A concern I have is that neither the on board video or safety demonstration is graphic enough. In the same way airlines don’t show aircraft disaster movies, the demos are so sanitised they give no idea of what actually happens in an emergency. In fact the video is a bit like a game where cartoon characters evacuate a totally intact and orderly cabin and it’s nothing like that.

Thankfully my experience of an aircraft evacuation in an emergency is limited to Aircraft Investigation but that’s what needs to be shown as well as the consequences of getting your hand luggage, waiting for friends and so on. Only then will people sit up and take notice, as while rare, these incidents do occur.

Cloud-9
    Participant

One thing that that used to be part of the safety demo by most airlines but is now used rarely, is ‘Remember your nearest exit may be behind you.’

I still check this

ontherunhome
    Participant

The announcement usually advises that even regular fliers, should listen and watch the announcement, as it differs from aircraft to aircraft. I have flown on Easyjet, and they demand you put down books and papers, and remove headphones for the safety briefing.

Maybe there needs to be a more strict approach to this, and also to advise the passengers of the fact crew can give instructions that are “the law”. I know on some flights aboard US registered aircraft they often cite FAA law, and that you must obey crew instructions.

Hopefully when a review is done from this incident, lessons will be learned so next time, things will be different, as it may have been if this 777 was full.

Once again well done BA crew.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The BA crew contributors told us on a previous thread,they can only ask passengers to remove headphones in an announcement. They would never go up to them and ask. Same with people reading and/or typing on computers.

Personally, I would have no issue with Cabin Crew being given the authority to ensure all pax remove headphones for the safety briefing – supported by the Captain’s announcement.

Again, I am pretty sure the BA members have also confirmed the reason they don’t demand, is the Airline do not want to upset their passengers by making these demands…

AviationGeek
    Participant

A question to all who posted comments that airlines should have more engaging safety videos, or should (be able to) force passengers to watch the video – do YOU always watch it, every flight? Do you remove your headphones, put down the paper, iPad etc and actually pay attention?

Several posters have mentioned that they do wear their shoes for take off & landing or check for their nearest exit, but watching fellow passengers on board I’m always amazed just how many (frequent and not so frequent – I’m going by their “looks” I admit) passengers are utterly blasé about safety – from being utterly unsuitable for the exit row (and having to be moved by the crew – you have to tick you’re read the T&C’s for the exit seats!), to chatting during the safety demo, reading/ watching films on their I pads, having to be reminded to fasten their seat belts, stow their tray tables etc and often enough showing or voicing their annoyance with the crew member doing their job.

I fly mainly BA and find their safety video rather dull – but will still put my paper down for those few minutes, if nothing else out of respect for the crew standing there.

MrMichael
    Participant

Aviationgeek, agreed. I probably know the safety procedures for the A320 series and B767 better than the vast majority, however I still watch and listen. The way I see it, the more I watch it, the deeper it gets in to the mind, and thus heaven forbid I should ever need it instinct will kick in and I will know exactly what to do and where to go.

What to do about the Las Vegas bag carriers is a tough one. But airlines need to look at this, fortunately nobody died…..this time. Have they died in the past, Manchester for example….and will they in the future. Maybe it should be made an offence to take luggage during an evacuation like smoking or other ways people “endanger aircraft crew and pax”.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BTUK October 2018 issue
BTUK October 2018 issue
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls