BA 777 Vegas-Gatwick on fire – passengers safe

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

• Anonymous

BigDog.
    Participant

A British Airways Boeing 777 is on fire at Las Vegas airport after an engine burst into flames. Reports say all passengers have been evacuated safely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11852714/British-Airways-plane-on-fire-at-Las-Vegas-latest.html

https://twitter.com/barneyhenderson/status/641401403043393536/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It is very good news that no one was seriously injured.

BA has put the following on its website

Serious Incident involving BA
    Updated 09/09/2015 05.04 AM (UK time)
    Summary
    The safety of our customers and crew is always our priority, and we are looking after those who were on board the BA2276 from Las Vegas to London Gatwick following an incident on Tuesday September 8, 2015.
    More information
    The aircraft, a 777-200, experienced a technical issue as it was preparing for take-off from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.
    Our crew evacuated the aircraft safely and the fire was quickly extinguished by the emergency services at the airport.
    157 customers were on board the flight, along with three pilots and 10 cabin crew.
    A small number of customers and our crew have been taken to hospital as a precaution.
    All customers have been provided with hotel accommodation, and our colleagues are helping them with anything further they require.
    We will provide any further updates on ba.com.
    Friends or family with any concerns can call +800 1360 7012.

I imagine this will be updated – the link is here

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/execclub/_gf/en_gb?p_faqid=5350

The photos and footage on various media (and social media) channels show how bad the situation was – and could have been.

I’m sure passengers and crew stayed calm during the evacuation. So calm, in fact, that some evacuated with their hand baggage. Much comment about that on social media!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and here’s a clip of the Air Traffic Control conversation…

https://clyp.it/jrvdzhrw

MrMichael
    Participant

Glad no serious injuries, but how on earth do we stop these eejits taking their baggage with them. Clearly credit to the crew who got everyone off in what according to news reports (CNN pundit) was quick time+ .

peter19
    Participant

glad to also see no serious injuries and the passengers getting off so quick – Very lucky as the fire seem to escalate very quickly.

ontherunhome
    Participant

Just seen the video clip. First thankfully no serious casualties and a big well done BA. They may not get top marks for their on board product, but i always feel safe flying with them. One question though, is as the fire appears on the left side, the front evacuation shute was deployed, I cant see if it was used, but this would have brought passengers very close to the fire. After Manchester i though the idea was to evacuate on the opposite side to a fire?
    When i fly I always leave my shoes on until airborne. See so many putting flight socks on. Now you see why its best to leave them on until in the sky.
    The aircraft being a 777-200 from the gatwick fleet, maybe it will be retired now?
    Just about to book to SFO BA offering a £63 discount today t celebrate the Queen. I will book BA.
    Again well done BA crew.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also leave my shoes on till we’ve reached cruising altitude and I keep my cash and cards in my top shirt pocket for the same reason.

Good job it didn’t happen 5 minutes later just after the plane got airborne. On the ground I’m fearless but just 100 feet in the air it’s a different matter?

superchris
    Participant

ontherunhome. are you not supposed to take you shoes off for the slide or is that just high heels??!!

Some relieved people at RR Derby this morning – I see these were GE engines and not Trents.

The baggage thing is completely unforgivable. Despite major injuries here I think crew have questions to answer over this.

And also, I thought one of the lessons of the Manchester air crash was that you don’t open the chutes on the side of the fire?

openfly
    Participant

Stop these idiots by electro locking the overhead bins during taxi, take off, approach and landing!

ontherunhome
    Participant

Superchris,

Yes the ladies ( men) are supposed to take off high heels, to avoid damaging the slide, and themselves. I know someone who during a visit that involved a simulated evacuation, who did not take off her shoes. She caught her heel, and broke bones in her leg.

These rules about shoes and luggage are there for a reason. Good idea to keep passport and wallet etc on your person though.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Agree with LuganoPirate, good job they weren’t going faster or even airborne…it could have been far worse!

I, too, carry my phone, keys, passport and wallet in my pockets until the seatbelt sign is off, and I keep my shoes on, just in case. As a child, there was a docu-drama on television about a DC-10 crash in the US featuring a lady who had taken her shoes off before take-off. She had little left of her feet after fleeing through the flames post-crash, and the image has always stuck in my mind. It is almost a recurring nightmare! Thus, I keep shoes on for take-off and landing.

Unless baggage was obstructing the aisle (and thus impeding a swift exit), there is no excuse for people to have their baggage on the tarmac with them. Recent pics of a TK accident showed even the cabin crew wheeling their bags away after going off the runway. It defies belief. Apart from identity documents and perhaps your keys/wallet/phone, what else is so important that you can’t replace. What if you were seriously injured because Mr or Ms Selfish slowed your exit because of their precious crap in a wheelie? Ugh!

Bravo crew for getting everyone out, and to the pilot for being so incredibly calm. The ATC feed is chilling to listen to…

canucklad
    Participant

Firstly, well done to the crew, with the possible exception of opening the port side doors ?

Yep, I also keep my shoes on until the “ping” to release cabin crew goes off…..And I tend not to wear high heels when I travel….. : )
    As for collecting hand luggage…….. Unforgiveable, so totally selfish !! and a brilliant idea openfly!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My wife and son were on G-VIIO the day before.. MCO-LGW..

Thank G-d all passengers are safe… thank G-d for the crew training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls