BA 767 reliability

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

• BrotherJim
    Participant

KarlMarx, quite simply what option did BA have? Cancel or sub. What is the lesser of two evils? What else do you want them to do? And where did I say it was the passengers issue? Sometimes shit happens, and it is how the airline reacts that matters.

In this case compensation is clearly in order, so a dispute over compensation fair enough, but the sub itself, yeah have a whine due to the inconvenience, but lets get real the options were cancel or sub.

KarlMarx
    Participant

BrotherJim – 27/01/2015 11:55 GMT

Sub with a long haul aircraft, with comparable product, if necessary chartered in.

This is how a quality airline would react, subbing a short haul configured aircraft for a 7.5 hour overnighter is totally unacceptable.

BrotherJim
    Participant

Karl, hardly a sensible option is it? As discussed above lets say BA did have a 777 or an mid haul A321 sitting around free, you still have the issue flying the aircraft back. Who do you think is going to do it?
    It’s not like BA would have a 777 crew waiting in Almaty as they would have for the 767, and you might say they could fly the return crew out as pax and fly the a/c back, but think you will find even being pax outbound it would have an effect on their crew hours.

As for leasing can you name one case of you having ever heard of an airline leasing in an aircraft at what by the sounds of it was short notice? Even if possible you then have the same crew issues for the return not to mention the possibility of ground handling issues in Almaty.

Tirana1
    Participant

Brother Jim, the basis for my assertion as to 767 unreliability is a) comment from cabin crew on the 8 long haul 767 flights I have taken since end November, b) comment from BA pilot friend of family, c) basource.com reports re out of service 767’s and scale of substitution on Moscow and Jeddah routings. Please do check that last source for yourself. The 767’s are the oldest aircraft that BA operate on long haul and indeed will be unable to operate certain routes soon because of regulatory changes. They are well past their sell-by dates. As I have hopefully made clear, it is not the fact of a tech issue that has caused annoyance, but the lack of fulsome recognition as to the degree of inconvenience casued by the radical difference in product thus provided. Yes, “shit happens” – and that is about the attitude first demonstrated by BA when the issue initially arose, since significantly recovered from by effective customer service staff.

canucklad
    Participant

Mmmmmmm…I’ve just noticed the advert promoting the perennial complimentary U/G from CW to first. ……..Ahhh you’ve got to love the irony : )

BrotherJim
    Participant

Firstly Tirana1, isn’t BA offering you compensation? Or maybe as this happened 2 days ago it is hard to say so soon. That is your real issue isn’t it, considering the sub couldn’t be avoided.

Secondly, the 767’s don’t operate long haul they operate mid haul.

As for 767 reliability, will admit they are certainly aircraft well beyond their prime, and rather tatty inside, but when it comes to reliability they (speaking globally here not BA specifically) are one of the most reliable aircraft out there, despite the age of many. Also I do check BA source regularly and 767 cancellations don’t standout as being any different from any other aircraft that BA operate. Indeed just now not 1 mention of a 767 going tech in the past 10 days.

PS a friend of a friend of a friend who empties aircraft toilets at LHR told me they were a reliable aircraft so it must be true hey?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MrMichael – 27/01/2015 10:15 GMT

+1

Beyond that, can ANYONE here recall the experience of KL, LH, AF, LX, OS etc EVER chartering from another carrier to operate a mid/long-haul service? The only occasions I am aware of that BA does this is with single-cabin UK domestic services from Titan.

KarlMarx
    Participant

BrotherJim – 27/01/2015 12:07 GMT

Your thinking is so myopic that I am not going to waste my time beyond this post.

Subbing at the last minute? These airlines, to name a few

British Airways
    Aer Lingus
    Virgin Little Red;
    Thomas Cook Airlines
    Monarch Airlines
    Thomson Airways
    Arke Fly
    Condor
    Transavia
    British Airways Open Skies
    Jet2.com
    Primera Air
    Air Berlin
    Vueling
    German Wings
    SAS Scandinavian Airline System
    EasyJet

BrotherJim
    Participant

No Karl, I didn’t ask about subbing, I asked about leasing/chartering in another carriers aircraft at short notice, which you suggested a few posts up.

KarlMarx
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 27/01/2015 12:21 GMT

Yes, from personal experience, I flew on a Lufthansa A340 that was substituted for an Austrian Airlines 767.

KarlMarx
    Participant

BrotherJim – 27/01/2015 12:24 GMT

All the below have chartered in another company’s aircraft at short notice

British Airways
    Aer Lingus
    Virgin Little Red;
    Thomas Cook Airlines
    Monarch Airlines
    Thomson Airways
    Arke Fly
    Condor
    Transavia
    British Airways Open Skies
    Jet2.com
    Primera Air
    Air Berlin
    Vueling
    German Wings
    SAS Scandinavian Airline System
    EasyJet

BrotherJim
    Participant

How short are you talking Karl? An hour, a day or two. What?

I do not believe any of these airlines has ever called in another airline at short (1-2 hours notice). Yeah I can believe they may have done it a few days out for what ever reason, but nothing under that. Put passengers on their flights yes.

Tirana1
    Participant

a) yes, compensation agreed , b) the routes 767’s run on are long haul – the BA website states “we make versatile use of the 767 by deploying it on our long haul network” – you cannot seriously contend BA’s own website is inaccurate or that 7,8 and 9 hour sectors are “mid haul”.They used to run on Moscow but have been replaced there by the (excellent) mid haul A321 product.

Your observation as to “friend of a friend” is not worthy of responding to.

KarlMarx
    Participant

The charterer offers a 60 minute despatch service.

Quote “Over the years, this service has proved invaluable to a whole host of European carriers, keeping disruption to a minimum when things occasionally go wrong.”

No doubt you will start to add other constraints to save face, so to avoid wasted time and effort, no I do not know of an airline that has used a left handed, bald, transvestite pilot in a JU52, to rescue a Finnish speaking darts team from the altiport in the Alps 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

I’ve seen the long haul variant on the EDI run funny enough!
    In this instance I think BA made the choice replacing the aircraft. I think the issue is more with HOW they managed the switch rather than WHAT they did.
    Firstly, as soon as they knew the configuration of the new aircraft, they should have been transparent and let their premium affected customers know……allowing choices.
    If they had done the first thing right, I’d assume they would have been proactive and offered compensation at that point as well.
    After re-reading the comments, you just get he feeling it was a case of lump it or leave it. The one thing BA are not very good at is being proactive it seems.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls