BA 737-400’s at Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Biarritzsurf
    Participant

Does anyone know when BA are going to phase out the 737-400 fleet at Gatwick? Weren’t these supposed to have been phased out years ago? They are certainly showing their age! ……

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA has a subfleet of 19 LGW based 737-400s which mostly date from around 1990. Their average age is 17.4 years.

The six older 737-500s and 737-300s which used to operate from LGW were retired in 2009, so there is progress being made on this front.

The average age for the BA fleet as a whole is 11.5 years, but this is reducing as older 747-400s are sadly removed from service and the fleet renewal program continues with orders for Embraer, A320 family, 777, 787 and A380 being delivered now and over the next four years.

This compares with American Airlines which has an average fleet age of 14.7 years, Lufthansa with 13 years, and Singapore Airlines with an average age of 6.7 years.

It is not uncommon for some LGW shorthaul services to be operated by A319 aircraft, and the numbers of such airbus aircraft operating from LGW will increase as the new fleet deliveries continue.

While the cabin interiors of these workhorses are well used, the aircraft are in tip top condition from an engineering perspective.

Biarritzsurf
    Participant

Thanks VK. Here is an additional update from ‘Flight Global’ last May.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/05/27/326998/ba-postpones-retirement-of-737-400-fleet.html

Biarritzsurf
    Participant

I flew yesterday on the LGW-Tunis BA service in Club and was very disapointed by the standard of the cabin on the 737-400. I’m not sure BA will be able to continue to use these aircraft for much longer given the state of the interiors. The club cabin was however pretty full which was good to see. The breakfast service was good but the aircraft really lets the Gatwick service down.

NTarrant
    Participant

I agree that the 737’s are getting tired, as a regular CE traveller from LGW-JER this route seemes to have mainly A319’s, I noticed last week that some of the seats on one of the aircraft I travelled on has been refurbished. Nothing special but new leather.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls