BA 60J vs Virgin

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have chosen and booked:

In researching my options I was looking at overall value and for me this includes (in no particular order):

**aircraft type

**timings

**ground experience

**rewards programme

**cost of experience

**departure airport

As this is partly a vacation, cost has come into the equation, so taking the advice of robsmith100

“a change in a while couldn’t do much harm”,

I looked at 3 alternatives – Delta, Virgin and American.

One look at the Delta web site, was enough to make me discount this option.

Reading recent comments on the forum, I was not going to use American for the long haul.

However, Virgin had a very good price in Upper so I called them, with all good intentions but was totally disillusioned with the sales lady.

Question: the schedule shows a 747 on the return but an airbus out. Is this correct?

Answer: we are waiting for our new aircraft, I am showing its one of the old airbus’s for both sectors

Question: does it have the new inflight entertainment

Answer: wouldn’t have though so

Question: can I order a vegetarian meal (I have since seen a very comprehensive review of special meals on the Virgin website)

Answer: can you call back on Monday!

So the result is that 60J won in all areas and has now been booked and in addition I should be awarded the 2 for 1 upgrade shortly, which can be quite valuable.

One final point, I know that there is a BA sale on at the moment. Whilst the fares are not particularly spectacular in terms of the wow factor (except for VK’s choice of Muscat!), they have been reduced to at least a competitive level, where the advantages of the European shuffle have been removed, albeit temporarily.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Enjoy your 2 for 1 upgrade but remember these upgrades come from the same pool as ba miles redemption seats so far from certain that you will be able to use this on the flight of your choice. If you ate going to JFK or dusseldorf you should be ok but don’t assume you will be able to use if to get first to Sydney!

Bullfrog
    Participant

The ‘Virgin coffin’ is a compromise and offers excellent space & comfort for an overnight flight. Whilst it may give a good view of other passengers, one can happily sit & ‘mind one’s own business’.

BA’s ‘paired seating’ offers 8 abreast seating on the main deck, & at 6’2″ tall, I find the seating cramped.

Staff are ‘professional’ on both BA & VS. I would agree that the VS staff are a little more ‘bling’, ‘in your face’, loud & chatty. BA staff tend to be more discrete, less involving & perform their roles without so much ‘sociability’.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Bullfrog,

I am 6’4″. BA 747 upper deck, windows seats offer extra space… on the side 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls