BA 50% Miles deal

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• CJMILLER
    Participant

Can u use Companion Voucher in this 50% off deal?

continentalclub
    Participant

You can indeed, CJMILLER.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Ah. That’s why I couldn’t book in CW. It didn’t seem to say anywhere it was restricted, and it actually offered a choice of classes on the web page. Grr.

CJMILLER
    Participant

Thanks – that’s great

FlewTooFew
    Participant

Does anyone know if this sort of deal comes up often?
    Been saving airmiles for a trip to Oz with my girlfriend but I don’t really have the money for the taxes/charges etc. at the moment. However, if this is a very rare occurrence I’d be willing book now anyway and bring the trip forward.

continentalclub
    Participant

The last and first time that a similar deal was offered was in November 2008.

JordanD
    Participant

FlewTooFew – Without wish to bring bad news, from what I’ve seen on my bookings, the taxes and charges element still exists for both tickets, so you have to pay them; the saving is on the Miles element alone.

With regards to the previous offering of this ‘deal’, it was – as continentalclub says – offered in Nov 2008, although that covered all classes (i.e. including CW and F); additionally, last November/December there was a similar 50% offer on WT+ bookings.

Binman62
    Participant

Whilst this offer is welcome (and frankly long overdue) it is clearly one aimed at tackling the millions of miles that are collected via credit cards and getting bums on seats.

It is 3 years since there was any sort of deal to reward frequent flyers and those who gain their miles flying in j and f cabins.
    I have been trying to get seats in f for some time but availability 9 months out was zero and for weeks. A kindly agent recently did a check for me and on 8 flights in a 21 day period and BA did not have a single booking in f or j on my route yet not a single seat was available in a redemption class.

FlewTooFew
    Participant

Thanks continentalclub & JordanD – I suspected as much. Works out as roughly £1k for 2 people with the current miles deal; obviously better than full fare but I’ll consider my options!

Hippocampus
    Participant

I doubt very much there will be another network wide deeply discounted J/F redemption promotion for some time. The last promotion was at the height of the downturn before capacity cuts kicked in and I think the expectation of periodic discounts for J and F is somewhat unrealistic.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

@Binman62 – is it really for the CC users? I thought it was frequent flyer miles that are on offer, not Air Miles (which I also collect, but which are a very different animal, in that you can amass a nice stash of Air Miles without actually setting foot in a BA aircraft).

Checking our household accounts, I see we have about 8,000 Air Miles and over 150,000 BA miles.

I read somewhere that the amount of Air Miles held nationwide is something phenomenal, like enough to tie up BA for an embarrassingly long time, but most are ‘small denominations’ – under a thousand, so not really usable.

It would be fascinating to know exactly how many are floating around, out there.

degreecy
    Participant

I heard a rumour that there will be a big shake up of BA Miles (probably linked to Iberia, AA etc.) in Sept/Oct.

Do you think this 50% deal is related to that ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes.

Not particularly.

UKFly79
    Participant

This deal is ok but nothing to write home about. Binman I couldn’t agree with you more

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The comments re a possible revamp with BA miles is interesting as I have just been offered the opportunity to convert over a million amex points to BA miles 2:1 meaning I will gain an aditional 1 million BA miles. Whilst this seems extremely tempting, i am always concious of comments about keeping too many miles/airmiles with one company.

At least I know the BA’s current system, but if a revamp is going to possibly devalue a million miles + the current stash of exisitng miles, I would really appreciate the comments from the forum.

Why would Amex make such a generous offer?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls