BA 2023+ ex LHR/LGW – Where should they “expand”?/Can they really expand?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 196 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Schedule would have looked something like this:

1 LHR HKG 1220#0700 CX 252
    2 LHR HKG 1700#1155 CX 238
    3 LHR HKG 1820#1325 CX 250
    4 LHR HKG 2010#1515 CX 256
    5 LHR HKG 2215#1715 CX 254

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Aren’t there curfew restrictions at LHR that would prevent a scheduled 23:55 departure?

I suspect colonial or historical destinations are only of interest to BA if they’re more profitable than (all) other options. As someone said upthread, with the ME players having become dominant east and south – west appears likely where BA will focus. As much chance of another daily to NYC being added as a new LH route introduced!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1247883]

Remember 17th December is the last day of the planned 5 day rail strike

AMcWhirter
    Participant

If rferguson is travelling with a through ticket then I would have thought BA would have given him a seat for LHR-MAN.

I mean BA does hold back capacity for connecting pax off BA international flights (or perhaps rferguson is not using BA for his international sector).

Yes demand is sky-high and I’ve seen *one-way* CE fares priced at £600 on those flights where Y is full.

I cannot help but think back to the days of the BEA/BA Shuttle when at peak times BA would have deployed wide-body aircraft to meet demand.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

BA is sold out on 17th LHR-MAN – and BA are’t keeping seats back for international connections for that day as checked originating further afield to connect and still nothing on the LHR-MAN legs.

Plenty of seats MAN-LHR

Given how busy the international flights into LHR were on the night of the 16th – possible a lot of people are connecting onto MAN – plus others already booked before any strike announced.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I expect so. Although BA would be foolish not to hold back a few seats for its very top customers.

If only the Shuttle was still operating …

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1247883]Demand on LHR-MAN seems to be off the charts.[/quote]

Could this be down to the poor performance (and gross unreliability) of Avanti?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Newcastle almost as bad for the 17th – it is just busy:

SAT 17DEC22 LONDON/NEWCASTLE 17/0000 17/2359
    ** BRITISH AIRWAYS – SN ** 17 SA 17DEC 0000
    NO MORE LATER FLTS 17DEC LHR NCL
    CK ALT*ORIG BQH LCY LGW LTN QQK QQP QQS QQU QQW SEN STN XOF XQE
    1 LHR NCL 0725 0835 BA1324 J2 CC DC RC IC Y1 B0 HC KC M0 320 C*E
    «B» LC VC NC OC QC SC G0
    2 LHR NCL 0955 1120 BA1326 J0 CC DC RC IC Y0 B0 HC KC M0 319 C*E
    «B» LC VC NC OC QC SC G0
    3 LHR NCL 1440 1600 BA1334 J0 CC DC RC IC Y0 B0 HC KC M0 319 C*E
    «B» LC VC NC OC QC SC G0
    4 LHR NCL 1830 1945 BA1336 J0 CC DC RC IC Y0 B0 HC KC M0 32N C*E
    «B» LC VC NC OC QC SC G0

MAN still sold out. EDI/GLA/ABZ have plenty of seats. Belfast busy.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1247873]Along with Auckland I was looking at Fiji as destinations possibly via Shanghai and also LHR Shanghai Auckland V V
    Auckland for BA is in my view a no brainer as ANZ abandonment of the route was in many peoples view more of mismanagement at ANZ than that the route was fundamentally unprofitable.[/quote]

When we publish any news reports on Air NZ and its London route we gain just so many comments from readers.

I have been long enough in this business to realise nothing in aviation is set in stone. Maybe in five or 10 years time Air NZ will reinstate a direct link to Europe and announce it as “the greatest thing since sliced bread” !

Meanwhile the Gulfies are the beneficiaries. Carriers like EK offer one-stop flights to AKL from main and secondary destinations from all over Europe.

EK has now restarted DXB-AKL with non-stop A380. Flight time 16 hrs.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

They also restarted the Christchurch -Sydney route with a 380.

Cathay are going back to daily to Auckland from end January and ultimately double daily again (and also back to Johannesburg) both of course ex HKG. Cathay is still the fastest 1 stop from AKL-LHR

No sign of Cathays return to Christchurch or Cape Town yet but it will come we are told as soon as they can resurrect enough aircraft from long term storage. Apparently after almost 3 years in storage it takes up to 6 weeks per B777 to the point where it can re-enter normal service.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Was thinking to start a fresh thread on this but decided as it is a BA route development to add it to this.

News is that BA will from the Winter 23 timetable onwards bring the Rio (GIG) and Buenos Aires (EZE) routes together.
    Recently these have been served separately 4-5 times a week each using 788, but from the Winter timetable there will be a daily LHR-GIG-EZE/EZE-GIG-LHR using 3 class 772.

Flights will be overnight on the LHR-GIG sectors.

I guess traffic to EZE has been damp somewhat so IMO this is a sensible use of slots and capacity. Crew will I guess rest in Rio and then ply the return EZE as one shift.

If BA are content to do this to serve these routes then perhaps there is hope they could think of a LHR-Bogota-Lima route & vv. I am confident Bogota will be big success for business and leisure travellers, as well as a big Colombian diaspora in London and suspect many in these target markets would gladly avoid Avianca direct and Iberia via Madrid.

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems to me that BA are not the most adventurous bunch. As also with Virgin who basically ran out of cash and ideas and sold the shop to Delta at Saturday market pricing

Moribund comes to mind but perhaps that’s a little harsh.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I wouldn’t say BA is moribund.

Here in the UK the average BA customer would not consider BA as sixth-freedom.

But viewed from overseas indeed it is.

Some months ago I wrote a piece re Finnair increasing its Tokyo service.

One Finnish reader took me to task. To him Finnair wasn’t considered sixth-freedom but BA was !

I provided a lengthy explanation.

If you look at BA’s European network it is smart in serving secondary destinations neglected by those countries’ national airline.

Likewise with North America where I believe BA operates more non-stop flights to more destinations than any other European airline.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Good post Alex.

Sparkyflier – it would be great to see more adventurous routes, I suspect the beancounters may be happy for traffic on the Bogotá / Lima route to go via MIA, where BA / AA are the dominant players. AA has 3 x daily departures to Lima, all departing between 4-8pm, perhaps in part to capture connecting transatlantic traffic.

MarkivJ
    Participant

There have been rumours for the longest time about a 3rd daily to seattle (despite AA’s own new daily) and 2nd daily to Mexico city.

Recently, I was at a wedding in Orange County and my fellow aviation buffs at the wedding were telling me that BA was considering (or had finished) a scouting tour of Sacramento: capital of califrnia, it has a large enough base and has a solid semi conductor industry economy to warrant a daily 787.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 196 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls