BA 2023+ ex LHR/LGW – Where should they “expand”?/Can they really expand?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 196 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

@sparkyflier, I would take CX over the 789 Club World seat. I found though in some instances that F on BA bizarrely is cheaper than J on some dates, so if that were the case I would take F on the 789. I am a One World stooge, during the past few years I contemplated a move to Star, flying EVA/SQ/AC but it just comes down to convenience for me, and whilst I am fine taking a 1 stop itinerary on occasion, my default is still to fly direct.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Not quite AndrewinHK. BA sold 4 aircraft it already owned to Griffin Global and leased them back. This was announced around September 5th. So these 4 Planes do not add to the current fleet but improved BAs liquidity.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Bloomberg is reporting that IAG is in discussions with Boeing and Airbus to place a widebody order for 20+ aircraft to replace British Airways’ aging 777-200 fleet. The report notes that IAG has options for 50 a350 aircraft, and that discussions are in the early stages.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I suspect this will be a split order between 787 and A350, although my preference would be all A350 (both 900 and 1000) and even A330neo, but reckon the latter is unlikely to happen.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I would guess it will be the 787-10 and a350-1000, I doubt BA will acquire the 359. BA doesn’t really require the range of the 359/789, they need capacity, and the 781 and 35K fit that bill.

miladenaa
    Participant

I have a copy of BA’s 1988 timetable and back then our national airline served both Auckland and Christchurch (in addition to Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne).

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@miladenaa – True, but if you look at the routes they flew back then, it would be quite normal for BA to operate a flight that went London – Bombay (Mumbai) – Bangkok – KL – Perth. Lots of destinations ticked off but not really an option in this day and age.

sparkyflier
    Participant

AndrewinHK – I hope BA do select some A359 as in my opinion it is a far more comfortable aircraft in terms of passenger comfort than 787, especially in Y. Have travelled in all cabins and feel all passengers should have some level of comfort. And 787 has those stupid dimmable windows that passengers cannot always control.

When there is a choice of A350/380/330/777 and 767 I would generally choose all of those over 787.

Remember 787 was initially designed to be an 8 across seat in Y but airlines got greedy and only JAL has the cabin as intended by Boeing.

Re efficiency I understand 787-10 is super at flights up to 8/9 hours but then the 359 can then hold its own- so that extra space and comfort can be appreciated on longer flights. Having this fleet would BA complete as a supposedly premium airline and also technically have their eggs in more baskets should there be any technical issues.

Interesting that AF is ditching their 787s and choosing A350.

cwoodward
    Participant

It is very possible that BA has missed the boat as far as serving again the NZ/UK route goes but not necessarily so.

Although SIA – CX and the Sandpit airlines have happily taken most of the traffic that was handed to them when BA and ANZ discontinued serving European destinations there is a considerable amount of tourist traffic available both ways p.a.

A huge number of New Zealanders visit the UK every year and vv.
    Pre pandemic in 2018 over 190,000 Brits visited NZ with 232,000 New Zealanders visiting the UK as tourists. Over 50,000 New Zealanders currently live in the UK.

My point here being that there is plenty of traffic available and given that only a few years ago ANZ operated via HK to the UK up to 3 times daily and back in the late 1980s BA operated the route 3 times daily.

At the moment because neither ANZ or BA operate the UK route what amounts to a government sanctioned cartel between ANZ and Cathay currently operates as far as HK with CX normally operating up to 4 times daily (inc once to Christchurch) and ANZ once or twice daily (Cathay normally 6 or more flights daily to UK from HK) If BA or ANZ operated this cartel would cease to operate.

The shortest way to the UK is via Hong Kong and there is a large ex HK and Chinese population in New Zealand thus I believe that this route would be the most viable. Perhaps 10 times a week would be more financially viable for BA than daily with possibly 3 of these via Bangkok.

Also perhaps viable would be Auckland -Brisbane- HK-London. (BA does not serve Brisbane) There is a large and mobil population of over 130,000 New Zealanders living on the Queensland coast and over 150,000 British have settled there in the past 15 years.
    2 stop routes though are not currently popular!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There’s a huge number of indirect routing possibilities between Europe and Austalasia.

Travel agents can stitch together routings using flight deals promoted by local management. Code-sharing and alliances complete the task.

A stopover may be involved but that’s no bad thing as not everyone wants to fly the route at one go.

A traveller I know has booked premium economy returns for he and wife to fly to NZ next January.

The routing and airlines involved may not be immediately obvious.

So it’s Manchester-Frankfurt-Vancouver with Lufthansa (stopover) then Vancouver-Auckland with NZ, then Jetstar to Chistchurch, then Christchurch-Singapore with SIA (stopover) concluding with Singapore-Manchester with SIA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BA returns to AbuDhabi in 2024.

Now open for booking are flights BA73 and BA74 which will operate daily from LHR to AUH from April 20, 2024.

Aircraft will be B787.

BA will face a challenge from EY with its A380s and EY’s potential for beyond traffic at AUH.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Good news Alex.
    Do you know if this flight will continue to Muscat, as it once did?

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks Alex and AlanOrton1 you preempted my question ha ha.

I just looked at ba.com and it seems AUH is a standalone route.. and unlike before is an overnight out with minimal time on the ground before it returns.

Surprised it is not combined with MCT once again but maybe Oman Air will be be in Oneworld by then? Perhaps that is a factor.

Just to blow my own trumpet I did say a few posts ago that of the routes that may be resumed Gulf routes might be up there as they are relatively short flights and so easier to fit in with a schedule, especially with aircraft and crew shortages.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BA will axe its Nuremburg-London route from early February.

It’s a feeder flight for BA’s hub and will be missed by the locals.

Both Austrian and Swiss have said they will quit Nuremburg this winter.

However we find that canny KLM will be adding more flights.

via Airliners.de [DE]

https://www.airliners.de/swiss-austrian-british-airways-verlaesst-nuernberg/71171

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks Alex. From what I can tell this releases 4 take off slots per week.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 196 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls