B787 Dreamliner 9-across in economy looks REALLY cramped

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

sparkyflier
    Participant

I saw this photo in http://www.airliners.net earlier, where there is a picture of the brand new United 787.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines/Boeing-787-8-Dreamliner/2185352/&sid=b0e9c754708e04e64c9f4d80e9b4eb20

Is it me but this does this look very, very crampt indeed? I know some users on this site do get to use non J or F sometimes, so this will be of interest/concern.
    Furthermore, a friend of mine was on an ET 787 a few weeks ago, and found it very tight indeed. The big windows etc were nice, but he was very pleased to get off the plane. . . and he loves flying! And he is also very slim!

So I hope not too many airlines go down this route, and stay with quality airlines like JAL & ANA, who are flying the aircraft as it was designed to be – 8 across at 2+4+2.

BA have said that they, being a “premium carrier” would be 8 across, but what will VS do? I know which layout would help me choose. . .

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello sparkyflyer

The issue of 9-across B787 seating has been covered both in BT and on this Forum over the past few months.

Here’s the BT piece which covers the matter:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/archive/2012/may-2012/special-reports/in-focus

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, every airline which has announced its B787 configuration has opted for 3-3-3.

As you say, only two airlines (JL + NH) adopted the 2-4-2 layout which was suggested by Boeing in the early days before the B787 was built.

I understand that carriers which originally considered 2-4-2 have, or are thinking of, changing their mind and going with the crowd.

One such carrier was AC. See these pics on torontolife.com and you will see that AC is going for 3-3-3.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/informer/the-new-normal/2012/03/05/air-canada-boeing-787-dreamliner/attachment/_mg_6819/

In a previous posting, Le Tigre indicated that VS was going 9-across and it seems that BA will be doing likewise even though BA’s original intention was to dispose its B787 Y seating 2-4-2.

As for ‘premium carriers’ … well I wonder what layout SIA will adopt ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

The patented ying-yang effect significantly improves the width at the all important shoulder level, and so while 8 across may equal that delivered by other airlines, the actual personal space is considerably more than traditional layouts.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you LondonCity.

You are right, it has been covered, but nobody has provided a visual/photo, which saves a few words. It does look really crampt, and if you travel Y, even sometimes, and do not like the look of that cabin, then let your airlines know how you feel and what you will not accept.

I may need to go to East Africa soon, maybe flying ET, but having seen that UA photo and further to the experience of my friend, am hoping they DO NOT put the 787 on the London route, and keep the very decent 767, even if it is getting on a bit.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Cramped.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“The patented ying-yang effect significantly improves the width at the all important shoulder level, and so while 8 across may equal that delivered by other airlines, the actual personal space is considerably more than traditional layouts.”

The 787 at BA will have a 2-3-2 business class config, so I do not know why the above quote is on this thread, especially as it is about economy class.

8 across in business is old fashioned (over 10 years old) and inferior to a staggered arrangement which gives direct access to the aisle to all seats, which is a major advantage on long sectors.

To get back on topic, 3x3x3 will be unpleasant, it is a decent 777 config and we know what cramming in 10 across does (EK, for example) – the 787 will be similar.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Sparkyflyer

The AI layout looks as cramped or even more cramped than the UA configuration

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/video-air-india-dreamliner-interiors

It seems that some airlines are specifying wider seats which means that the aisle will be narrower. Maybe AI ?

As for QR, the carrier says its B787 seats will be just 16.9 ins wide. This is tight. I guess that having a narrow seat means QR can offer passengers a wider aisle.

http://www.qatarairways.com/english_global/press-release.page?pr_id=pressrelease_pressrelease_20120307

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

It’s amazing how the airlines are now falling in line and adopting nine across in Y on the 787. It does look awful.

I guess it’s what you might have expected from Thomsons and the like but when it’s happening on scheduled carriers it’s a bit sad.

How long will it be until Thomsons go for ten across and who else will follow suit???

As for the comment on yang and ying which has nothing to do with the thread, well, badly behaved children are best ignored.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Actually sparkyflyer the 787 was designed to have 9 across in economy not 8. The plan was for the seat width to be exactly the same as the 707/727/737/747/757 at 17.2 inches.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Interesting, the 777 was designed for an 18.5″ wide seat.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Welcome back FDOS.

I think the 777 was designed to have the same width economy seats as the 767 – 18 inches. A Harvard study also concluded that is the minimum acceptable seat width.

Vertrek
    Participant

Perhaps it looks awful because of the colour of the seat cover and the wall. It’s soulless and very dull, maybe when the LED light is on, it would look better.

LondonCity,

SIA has opted to operate A350 and gave their B787 to their low-cost sister Scoot.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/sia-orders-five-a380s-and-20-a350s-transfers-787s-to-scoot-378005/

sparkyflier
    Participant

Welcome back from me also FDOS! And thank you for picking up on VKs rather odd posting that was out of context, and I think was a cut and paste job from one of his other postings a while ago.

I do recall when the 787 concept was announced that seating was to be passenger popular 2-4-2 – look at how successful the A330 has been.

But since VK has touched on business class, 2-3-2 is simply not value. If I pay for a J class seat I do not want any middle seat, or the chance of a middle seat.

Looking at 787 & Y class pics, you can see all the shoulders sticking out, and the aisles really narrow. Can see lots of bashing and bruising from the service carts, and I feel for the crews.

I however think that BA will in this case show some brand and product leadership and go 8 across in Y. And like their 777, 767 and 747, the Y+ will have the same width as J, and therefore be 2-3-2.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I thought the idea of a 787 is that it the materials are supposed to give it better feel when onboard. So even though it is 9 across you may not feel it. I don’t think the 3-3-3 looks that bad. The picture shown doesn’t denote if this is long or mid haul flight. It would be interesting to read some feedback on those of you that have experienced it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls