B747-8: is it worth the extra leg…

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

firstflyer,
    If I do it, it will be in business to try the new seat. And, yes, I agree, First on the LH B747-400 is quite unique!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Act 2: decision taken. Ticket bought! I’ll be soon a happy traveller on the upper deck of the latest version of the most fabulous aircraft of all time!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Must be one of the shortest-lived variants in modern aviation history, with LH having already announced they are going to retire them…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Ian, where did you read that? I’m dying to fly the 748 and was hoping they’d use it for the winter slot down to CPT. I hope it’s many years before they retire them and I fervently hope other airlines place some orders!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Swissdiver – 21/06/2013 22:07 GMT
    Act 2: decision taken. Ticket bought! I’ll be soon a happy traveller on the upper deck of the latest version of the most fabulous aircraft of all time!

Hi Swiss

Thanks so much for the heads-up, just had a look at this and I can do it for a trip later in the year, their business class looks fantastic and I am getting a great fare.

Issue I have is I have never flown Lufthansa long-haul, relatively stupid question but I presume all the IFE movies have a language menu and English can be selected?

Second question is one for TimFitzgeraldTC – the through fare is fine but leaves ABZ at 05:55 in the morning, I’d much rather fly the evening before from ABZ – FRA, stay at FRA and fly out on the 747-8 via Washington the next morning, when I did this on their multi-flight option the fare doubles, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    AOTG.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Hi AOTG,
    I hardly speak German and can use the IFE, so I presume it must be in English 🙂 If my memory serves, the IFE menu is actually available in more than 2 languages. Can’t remember though if subtitles on movies can be hidden or not.
    The main issues with LH are the old business class seat (still equipping the majority of the fleet – B747-8 have the new one) that is the worst one among European airlines, and FRA, the worst hub in Europe.
    Regarding your second question, you wrote “the evening before”, so less than 24 hours in FRA, right. If more this could be the explanation. And did you try several flights from ABZ? If the right booking class is not available on this leg, it would increase the price of the transatlantic flight.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi Swiss

Thanks for the reply. Lufthansa.com only gives me the 05:55 flight ABZ – FRA, there is an early evening ABZ – FRA but I can’t book the fare from ABZ – MCO (via IAD) returns, and the fare from ABZ is good but not keen on 05:55 take off, long connect in FRA too.

Like you, I’d be on 747-8 both ways…if I can make night before ABZ – FRA work….

Henkel uses Lufthansa alot – you about HT?

Rgds…
    AOTG…

Swissdiver
    Participant

One way for me. I am coming back with LX (regular one stop flight).

I made a dummy for you:
    ABZ FRA LH973 on July 14th
    FRA IAD MCO, LH 418 and UA 1471 on July 15th (4 hours at IAD)
    MCO – IAD – FRA – ABZ (UA 1090 – LH419 – LH970) on July 31st and Aug 1st
    Total: GBP 2100, “P” booking class (on Lufthansa.com, using the multi segments option)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@AOTG, there are both English & German options on the LH ICE. Some German TV shows / news may not have English version, but all the main films will be dual.

Would love to try the 748, more than the 380

Swissdiver
    Participant

Flown the B747-8. Great experience (although the new LH seat is far from being perfect). Flight review on its way. Thanks all for your help.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

@Martin

Yes, you are absoluely right. While the 380 offers a great F product, the 747-800 is more innovative in my eyes.
    The best though, imho, are the refurbished older 747s: They offer 8 F seats (formerly 16) with a separate bed and an F seat for each passenger. Great concept, so you just move from seat to bead, almost like home.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls