B747-8: is it worth the extra leg…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Never flown on the B747-8. And of course dreaming of! Going to ORD next month. Would normally select BA, as usual. But… For a lower price, I could fly FRA-IAD. But it has an extra cost after all: connecting at IAD! Is it worth it? I am wondering what do you think?

millionsofmiles
    Participant

If the few hours extra are not reylla bothering you, YES.

You have a new plane, with a new biz cabin, no cramped seating with 8 across like BA. I would certainly try.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

If you are flying in F or J class then it’s worth it. Otherwise, don’t waste your time with the detour via IAD.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I would not, in Eco :-). Flying business.

3 hours to connect int to dom in IAD: Enough?

Californian
    Participant

3 hours should be enough. IAD has a separate bag claim and customs area for transfer passengers which is out in the main pier and which is used in peak hours which would be when the Lufthansa flight gets in. Your connecting flight should be in the same area so the connection shouldn’t be too bad unless bad weather sets in.

Bullfrog
    Participant

For business or first, it would be my choice.

Please report back.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

You should try to connect to a UA flight, IAD an ORD are their hubs.
    And they interline with LH.

lloydah
    Participant

yep, go for it. Did it myself a couple of months back – to IAD. Went in F, booked on the UA site and think it was considerably cheaper than booking with LH. Only an hour or so at FRA though.

Son #1 had to go last week and made an internal connection in 45 mins on United on an LHR/IAD/PIT on an afternoon flight but with hand luggage only.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Only UA is flying the IAD-ORD route.

Bucksnet
    Participant

It’s only an extra leg if you’re not starting in FRA.

I know United has hubs at IAD and ORD, so it’s a hub to hub flight and they’re the dominant player, but I would of thought that AA would have had some flights as they’re a major player at ORD.

Senator
    Participant

Hi,

I have booked booked this route in F for my summer holiday when I have some more time just to sample this B747-8i. I look forward to sample one of the few aircrafts in production.

Took advantage of the stellar LH offer to ATL for £2,500 in F 🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Unfortunately it doesn’t look as though AA are using their new business class on ORD-Europe flights, otherwise that would have been worth a try!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/fullylieflat.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=fullylieflat

Personally I would rather connect in Europe and take a non-stop flight from there to your US destination. The need to retrieve your luggage, re-check it in (albeit airside) and clear immigration at your first point of entry into the US can be a complete pain

Swissdiver
    Participant

Ian,
    This is precisely why I am asking. And IAD immigration is not quite the easiest one in the US…
    Interestingly I have a pricing issue, but I’ll open a new thread on this…

firstflyer
    Participant

Swissdiver, you should take the opportunity to fly Business with the 747-8. I did it last August to IAD. Unfortunately there will be only a few of this great plane, only one carrier (LH). But flying First I would prefer the “old” 747-400, where LH offers a seat PLUS a bed for each passenger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls