Awarded Avios and Points for a Reward Flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

miningguy
    Participant

My wife and I have just spent xmas in Latin America where we used some BA Avios to book internal flights with LAN. These in themselves were a steal – about 6000 rtn each for 1-2 hour domestic flights.

Today I logged onto my BA Exec club page and noticed that I had been awarded both Avios and Tier Points for these flights. (For myself, 100 Tier points for plus about 2000 Avios for the 4x flights)

Is this good piece of news normal or did we get lucky?? I have just hit Gold Status so I don’t know if this makes a difference? Otherwise my previous experience has always been no miles/points awarded (which makes sense).

openfly
    Participant

If you bought the tickets using cash plus Avios….you do get Avios and tier points. If you paid using Avios, plus cash for the taxes then you do not get Avios or tier points. If it was the latter and you have been credited, don’t tell a soul!

miningguy
    Participant

Just Avios + cash for tax. So I guess I got lucky 🙂

I suppose, I could head back to Latin America and qualify for this year’s Silver Status by flying a further 20 legs domestically with LAN using my Avios….about 60,000 in total. I guess I might be pushing my luck though :/

FCTraveller
    Participant

There are certain circumstances where this will happen. I got 210 tier points and Avios on a first class flight from Toronto to London. I was originally booked YOW-PHL-LHR but the flight from YOW was cancelled. AA put me on a flight to Toronto with Westjet and rebooked me from Toronto to London. She could not book me in Z class (award class) so their system thinks it’s a paid booking.

DerekVH
    Participant

Should we not be keeping quiet about these anomalies? Same thing happened to me on a recent points booking.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Well I myself don’t plan on call BA LOL. I think they know it happens and there’s not much they can do about it. Most of the time, it’s probably down to agents not following procedure or not re-booking in the right class. I don’t think it’s widespread (it has only happened to me once in 20 years and I use award travel 20 times a year. At the same time, it’s good PR for them.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

FCTraveller: at last a reason for using an agent rather than diy !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls