Avios unmissable sale coming up

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

• Anonymous

tangey1
    Participant

Just received a cryptic message from avios.com

“The secret’s out on 6 January. There’s something really big on its way from Avios. In fact, there’ll be six really big unmissable offers coming your way. …”

When I hit more info it says:-

The Avios Unmissable Sale lands on 6 January and we’re giving you the heads up early so you don’t miss out. Soon there’ll be six really big unmissable offers coming your way.We’ll be releasing a new offer every 48-72 hours. Sale ends 20 January.”

BigDog.
    Participant

A touch off topic but have to say am in agreement with Mark Price, the Waitrose Boss who eschews collecting loyalty points for instant benefits instead. Although most BT forum posters appear to be avid collectors, just like Pink and Green shield stamps methinks Avios has a limited shelf life. This may present a problem for BA though as dishing out points appears core to their service recovery solution as opposed to implementing even a one, let alone 6 sigma quality culture in appropriate areas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529987/Benefits-offered-supermarket-loyalty-cards-meaningless-customers-claims-Waitrose-boss.html

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I am also in agreement with BigDog and Mark Price. I want value for money, whether it be by instant benefit or just a good deal.

Just tried to use Avios tonight, for an upgrade in three weeks – no availability for 10 days either side of the date I want = useless to me.

passionateflyer
    Participant

I totally agree with Mark Price’s attitude on this. I regularly get money off my shop by merely presenting my my Waitrose card (there have recently been promotions like 10% off everyday goods for myWaitrose members) – this instant benefit keeps me very content as a customer. In defence to BA, they actually offer a combination of the two: accrual of avios, plus lounge access etc which is, if you like, and instant recognition of your loyalty to them. However I agree that they need to review J class upgrades and redemption possibilities for customers who value it the most i.e. silver and gold card holders. I hope that recent financial performance will give them the confidence that they can do this. Or perhaps they will rest on their own complacency, which seems to be ripe within the airline (eg their decision not to upgrade a significant amount of Y and W class on their existing 747 fleet). Time will tell…

tangey1
    Participant

Well, staying on topic with the off-topic, I recently walked into goldsmiths and picked a £2500 ring from the window, and paid £300 plus tesco points that cost me another £300 to collect.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Same for the Hotel cards, the points are worth little these days, but the perks when you arrive (upgrades, welcome gifts, personalised service, requests met), are what matter.

I also use one of the Cashback sites that include many Airlines now and hotel agents, all the main ones with decent discounts that cannot be beaten anyhow. You can also access the hotel groups like Hilton, Accor etc and gain 10%+ back.
    I earned £700 back into my bank account, merely linking through them first to the site of my choice, Airline, hotel group etc this last 6 months.

I don’t find Avios great value at all compared to other Schemes.Though they have all been revamped in recent years to lessen what we earn and what we need to redeem.
    I agree, look for what you are offered at the time, and a % back for using a cashback site for everything. The points or miles you get are now pretty secondary, especially as many are no longer travelling, or will not be, Business class in Europe.
    Many will not be re-gaining their status based on European travels!

1nfrequent
    Participant

As someone who travels mainly for leisure, I actually find loyalty card schemes fairly useful. I’m currently putting together a trip of a lifetime for my sister and I for next year and so far have been able to use Avios and hotel loyalty schemes (including – I think it’s was either Ian’s or FDOS’s tip to use Hotels.com for their extra night deal) to get (so far) £1800 each of the cost of hotels and CW flights. All that’s come off my ‘ordinary’ spend on day to day and business travel and by making the most out of special offers as and when they come up.

Given that you guys are such frequent travellers, I’m not surprised you don’t get much benefit out of it – you’re probably better off using the miles you earn and burn coupled with cash back sites. If you’re a savvy leisure traveller though booking sufficiently in advance and with the ability to be flexible (which I totally admit are a lot of conditions) they can be a decent deal.

I’ll be interested to see how good this Avios deal is because I’m also looking at doing a long weekend in DC for a mate’s hen weekend next year.

1F

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I must be the only one…. I find AVIOS worth its weight in Gold ….. but the caveat is…. only since I have been flying to Europe…

Out of the 20 or so trips to Europe (mainly Frankfurt) over the past year, I have only had to pay for 1 return trip, the rest were all on AVIOS in a mix of Club and Economy, from both LHR and LCY. For me, they are an extremely valuable benefit.

However, for longhaul – AVIOS is or are…….absolutely CR*P…………..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

We all have different needs, yours is suited very well by Avios.

If my travelling pattern was like yours, I’d take the same view.

BigDog.
    Participant

Further, it is not unusual for cases when supplemental charges are added to an Avios encashment that the result actually costs more than current offer deals. People believe they are getting a good deal when using when there are better ones out there without avios.

TominScotland
    Participant

MartynSinclair

“However, for longhaul – AVIOS is or are…….absolutely CR*P…………..” In general I would agree with you, usually because of the high taxes/ charges levied on “free” tickets, but there are exceptions to even this rule. Using Avios for Business Class seats ex Dublin to the US with Aer Lingus, IMO, represent good value at 50,000 plus about £100 in charges.

Edited to add:

JordanD (below), I would agree that sometimes even Y class long-haul redemption can be worthwhile, especially if booked with a oneworld partner. I have recently booked Brisbane – Dubai return for two of us at relatively short notice for February. Had to travel, little flexibility with the dates and, because the travel is ex-Oz, prices were showing in silly money. Got redemptions on QF for Avios (of which I have plenty) and about £100 each. I thought that was a great solution to our requirements.

andystock
    Participant

Avios for short haul is great, £42 from LHR to Prague in club Europe out and back in economy. Used 1500 avios the other day to get a BA flight from Prague to LHR for £39.20.

JordanD
    Participant

I’ll bang a drum for Avios on this occasion: two longhaul redemptions this year – J class to NYC (including one way on the CWLCY service) and currently out in India over Christmas on a WT+/WT redemption. Dates were available (coming back a day later than I might originally have wanted to, but enough flex in my schedule to allow it), so have no complaints.

And anyone who’s tried booking LON-BOM tickets at Christmas knows, the taxes on a W/Y class redemption are far, far lower than the cash price of a direct ticket!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@BigDog – European Avios redemptions are cheaper, more flexible and generally offer FULL SERVICE including lounge access, food on board etc, than any loco alternative, including Ryan and Easy…

Admittedly, its a pretty narrow opportunity as it only includes those sufficiently loyal to BA to benefit.

In my case, it is a sufficient draw to use BA – my last trip to Asia generated 13 economy sector flights in AVIOS, 2 sectors already used at a days notice…

The only part that’s more expensive than the ticket is my taxi or parking costs, hence why I try to use LCY, £4.30 on the tube…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls