Avios Rebrand to AirMiles

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• iflypremium
    Participant

With the Cruzifier gone ( and set to ruin SAS Scandinavian aka BA Mach 2), is it not time to rebrand the oddly named Avios back to AirMiles ?

Unless they are a Travel Geek, FQTV or Industry Insider, who knows what Avios is ?

Also would be nice to have menucards again in World Traveller and Club Europe.

Bring back the Landor livery with tweaks and we have a BA to be proud of !

5 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Avios is just a brand name. And a relatively well known one. It’s no different to BA branding Business Class to Club World/Europe. Or Premium Economy/Economy to World Traveller Plus/World Traveller/Euro Traveller.

As for menu cards in economy, instead of handing out 200-odd printed paper cards that will likely end up in a landfill BA should use tech (such as the IFE screen, phone/tablet apps) to display the menu instead.

10 users thanked author for this post.

JDTraveller
    Participant

My vague recollection is that while BA operated AirMiles in the UK, it licenced the name and didn’t own it. AirMiles as a brand is still used in Canada, and nothing to do with BA at all.

Raffles99
    Participant

Zero chance of this happening. Irrespective of who owns the Air Miles trademark in the UK – and it may well be BA – too much money has been sunk into Avios now to change. It also works OK in Spanish (Iberia, Vueling and soon Air Europa) and Italian (Air Italy was using it before it went bust) whereas the Air Miles name is likely to hit trademark issues in other countries.

What is slightly bizarre is IAG’s obsession with using ‘Avios’ and not ‘Avios points’, to the extent that journalists or bloggers who use the phrase ‘Avios points’ have been known to get a telling off.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

AirMiles was never owned by BA. The concept was created by Sir Keith Mills and began operating from the UK in November 1988 as a concept licenced to other airline related companies around the world. I don’t recall it ever being used by BA but I have not lived in UK since 1973 and my have ‘missed’ it. There are however programs using the name operating in Canada, Middle east and Netherlands and perhaps more. Who now owns the brand is unclear at a glance.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100019]

BA did use Air Miles, and owned the business from the late 80’s. It was licensed to many other partners. I am not sure when BA’s involvement ceased, nor what brought about the change, but of course they ran their own loyalty scheme, BA miles in parallel. Equally, I can’t remember how or when all of those elements morphed into Avios

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1099876]

Seems like Cruz didn’t land the CEO role at SAS after all.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Frankly who really cares (other than BusinessTraveller geeks) whether the BA/&1World airlines call their flying points “Avios” or “AirMiles”…. many more important things to sort out…. and hopefully give the points more value (ha,ha)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls