Avios Points in BA Household Account when a member 'passes away'

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

My Father (ova h’s) passed away recently, so my parents’ Household Account has been terminated. Advice from forum members on transferring the Avios balance to my Mum’s account would be appreciated.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Bullfrog, I am sorry to hear that news, I hope your other half is not having too rough a time.

My immediate reaction is that the trustees executing the will should contact BA and ask for the avios to be transferred.

BA might argue that they own the avios and refuse to hand them over, relying on T&Cs, it would then become a matter of whether you were prepared to initiate a moneyclaim online, claiming that the T&C’s were unfair under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

PLease bear in mind that I am not a lawyer and I’d recommend you get qualified advice if there are a lot of avios.

openfly
    Participant

Call the Exec Club. Explain the circumstances and they will talk you through the procedure. They couldn’t be more helpful. The Avios get moved over very quickly.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

openfly

That’s good to hear. I know someone who had a flight to get theirs.

icenspice
    Participant

I am very sorry to hear that, Bullfrog.

My mum passed away nearly 2 years ago and I removed her name from my household account shortly before her death.

I phoned Bremen at least twice to close her account because I kept receiving e-mails addressed to her. They wanted a copy of the death certificate and written consent from my dad to do so. I didn’t want to bother him so in the end I reported the messages as spam.

Although my mother would have wanted to transfer the avios, I decided it was not worth the bother.

I hope you are bearing up at this difficult time.

peter19
    Participant

Sorry to hear BullFrog, there was an article in HFP which may help a little recently:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/09/16/what-happens-to-your-avios-points-when-you-die-2/

regards

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Bullfrog – I wish you and your family a long and healthy life..

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thank you for all the advice. I’ve spoken with the Executive Club twice, and today they seemed very helpful. They received a copy of the death certificate, and a letter from my Mum, 10 days ago. They’ve indicated it will take another week to transfer the miles. Here’s hoping.

Martyn,’thank you for your kind wishes’.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls