Austrian Airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AspirationalFlyer2
    Participant

I was excited to try Austrian Airlines after various recommendations from colleagues and others. I’m mid through a journey (I’m currently on the ground in Vienna) but I’m a little underwhelmed so far.

Any views on OS as an airline?

Perhaps more interestingly how does it compare to Lufthansa and Swiss? Is it better, worse or more or less the same?

rferguson
    Participant

I found their catering superb in Business Class. That was the biggest standout for me with Austrian.

Both times I flew them in J it was on a 767 with the staggered vantage seating. It was INCREDIBLY narrow, even more so that BA CW. Direct aisle access was very nice but the footwell and seat itself were so narrow I was unable to sleep.

I found the crew to be merely ok. Going through the motions pretty much.

capetonianm
    Participant

Flown them a few times, not recently, to and from ZA. I was very impressed, but thought VIE airport a bit crowded. It may well have been expanded.

Tramor01
    Participant

I’ve flown them quite a few times to Asia and I’ve found them pretty good (apart from once when 20 of us from LHR missed the connection in VIE to BKK, but that’s another story). As rferguson said their onboard catering is excellent (Do&Co I believe), as is their extensive coffee menu.
    I believe their seating configuration in business is the same as for Swiss. If you’re travelling alone, then go for one of the single window seats

AspirationalFlyer2
    Participant

The second flight was a significant improvement. A light but quite impressive chicken skewers dish was served on a flight of less than 90 minutes. As we’d lost our original take off slot, the crew were proactive in offering pre departure prosecco and Austrian bubbles to business passengers. After I asked for a glass of white wine with dinner, the flight attendant suggested that I have an Austrian wine tasting. How could I refuse. Thankfully the glasses were small! It just goes to show what a difference a proactive crew can make. I will report back on my two flights home.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I flew them recently from Amman to Vienna and onwards to Milan. I was very impressed with the service, but the seating left a lot to be desired as it was the usual European layout of 4/3 with he middle seat free in Business. This compared to Royal Jordanian, where you had a nice wide and comfortable business seat, 2/2 and in economy 3/3.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

I fly all 3 rather extensively.

In my opinion, LX is by far the best out of the 3. This is then followed by LH and finally OS.

As mentioned, business class seating in the 767 is not great but the food is ok. Bonus points to Austrian for the stewardesses dressed in red. I actually dated one for awhile.

-Rave

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t edit, but i wrote seating 4/3 when it should have said 3/3!

Rave, yes, the uniform is very nice. Flying them from Vienna many years ago for the first time, checking in I commented to the young lady on how nice her red stockings were. She smiled, tagged my case and issued my boarding pass. What a surprise to see she had upgraded me to Business. I only noticed when I took my seat so could not thank her.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls