Australian Pandemic Travel Article

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I read this – an interesting read from an Australian perspective:

https://www.traveller.com.au/australia-and-international-tourism-the-10-things-we-got-wrong-about-covid-and-travel-h1ylmf

3 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1110128]

Only 10 things the Aussies got wrong???? There are not enough hours in the day to catalogue the litany of disasters that have fallen upon the poor Aussie citizen both in and out of the country … I think the technical term is “Sh1tshow” for those that dont understand look up the meaning of farce!

For all the faults we talk about on here about good ol Blighty we have got the vaccination programme right and for me the freedom to get out and about to enjoy the lingering days of summer, and of course to go off to the World Famous Home of the Spurs tomorrow 🙂 ( we are going to be smashed)

And then in a couple of weeks back to the mayhem that is Singapore!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

For all our faults….yep lets gloss over at least 135,000 dead thanks to a lazy PM who did not attend 5 COBRA meetings and focused on his personal life.

The vaccine roll out by the NHS has been very good but even this has been overtaken by most of Europe and in large part nullified by the PM and his fantasy global Britain agenda that meant he left the border open and let thousands return from India unvaccinated, untested unrestricted. A mate in ATC says the spike in private jets from India in that period was unprecedented. If true it explains a lot!

200 dead here yesterday, Australia 8 NZ 0 Belgium 0 Denmark 3 Germany 8 Italy 26 Spain 0 Greece 33 Canada 45

The only place near us is the USA with 292.

Not sure we are doing much right, right now.

ASK1945
    Participant

“200 dead here yesterday, Australia 8 NZ 0 Belgium 0 Denmark 3 Germany 8 Italy 26 Spain 0 Greece 33 Canada 45

The only place near us is the USA with 292.

Not sure we are doing much right, right now.”

FormerBA – I agree completely with your expressed opinions about the performance of the UK government, but I am afraid tht the facts you have stated are not a factor I would use to justify that opinion. It is now widely accepted that the UK government’s measure of Covid cases is flawed and does not stand up when scrutinied closely.

For example, the number of deaths stated measures the number of people who have died who were diagnosed as Covid positive in the previous 28 days. This is completely ridiculous quite obviously and basic scientific rubbish. It does not measure how many have died from Covid-19. For example some of those deaths may be from accidents.

No other country uses the same measure. I think that Prof Chris Whitty and his pals, who well know about this inaccurate “cause and effect” should hang their collective heads in shame for perpetuating this.

RoyJones
    Participant

The UK figures are, in the main, accurate, unfortunately the criteria make them laughable. Doctors are no longer required to visit patients to certify cause of death and, as the GP doesn’t treat COVID patients what is easier than putting COVID as a possible cause of death. Then the statisticians use that possible cause of death as a COVID death as hey presto we get 100+ per day.

Look at the very last chart on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274 and you will see that deaths are now at or below the 5 year average. That probably is a truer reflection of the effect COVID is having at the moment.

But there remains a problem in nearly every country of those who refuse to get vaccinated. They are now the ones spreading the disease and, in the main, dying from it. Solution?? That’s what I pay politician for.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Harbord1
    Participant

Further to Roy Jones comments I can reinforce his point. I was recently admitted to an NHS hospital for a planned operation. 100% of people admitted are tested for covid before admission and then each week while in hospital every single person, patient and staff, is tested again. That means that any inpatient who dies of cancer, of an accident, a heart attack or even old age and who may have had asymptomatic covid or mild covid will go down as a covid death. Much more interesting is excess deaths/100k population where in 2021 UK scores 36th place, lower death rates than countries such as Italy, Spain, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, USA. So it seems like we did worse than countries such as Netherlands, France, Germany but better than others. UK has its own individual challenges, not least of which is its interconnectivity with the rest of the world, its population density and a culture which generally is less up for the authoritarian approach.

AnthonyConstantinou
    Participant

Pandemic travel is difficult no matter what place or country you choose. Australia is definitely a great place to visit, but right now, we should wait for the situation to get back to normal and if possible avoid travel.

Anthony Constantinou CEO CWM FX

MS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1110391]

Yes, well done on your vaccination program!……after almost 120k deaths in England. Compared to how many in Australia? Anyway….well done!

2 users thanked author for this post.

lostantipod
    Participant

The early pandemic response of Oz was brilliant, particularly considering the amount of travel to and from China in normal times, whereas the U.K. response diabolical (care homes; unwillingness to close borders). Looking at excess deaths, I did the math back in June, the U.K. death rate per capita was closer to Brazil than many people realise , and yet Brazil is a “red zone” country in U.K. terms.
    Roll forwards and you can see where the effect of Oz politics outweighed the actual pandemic plans that performed so well in the early phase – Oz is late on vaccines, no real progress on quarantine facilities, citizens still locked out of their own country, no plan to kickstart tourism on which many depend for a living. PM Morrison won’t make decisions, in case they can be used against him in the next election.
    Whereas Johnson let politics outweigh the pandemic plans from the start. As did the previous Tory govt – the recommendations of Exercise Cygnus in 2016, wwere binned by health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls