Australian billionaire to build Titanic II

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

I like the idea but all so if it is a true ocean liner not a Cruise ship, I would like to see a weekly daily depending how long it takes to cross fron Southampton to New York. A lot of people do not like to travel by plane like my mother, also would this take away from Airlines 1st class if people have time to kill?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/titanic-anniversary/9235867/Australian-billionaire-to-build-Titanic-II.html

VintageKrug
    Participant

Um, we do actually have a perfectly acceptable way of crossing the Atlantic, which doesn’t involve building a replica Disney-style Titanic.

http://www.cunard.com

HongKongLady
    Participant

Titanic II, why ? springs to mind. Possibly a little crass

RichHI1
    Participant

Quite correct, Carnival Corporation and Plc operate a transtalantic service already.
    I am unsure what connection the Titanic has to the DIsney corporation though. The 1997 Motion picture was made by 20th Century Fox and Paramount.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

“Quite correct, Carnival Corporation and Plc operate a transtalantic service already. ” Rich your right and wrong not one you could call a service but they goes a couple times a year. Be cool if one would go each week etc.

Carnival Corporation and Plc ships arre stacked to high to be safe on the ocean, also they own that company where caption sailed in to the rocks in the sea and a ship got lost in Indian ocean:S Makes me worry about them.

RichHI1
    Participant

Queen Mary 2 is running back and forth with departures approximatley every 2 -4 weeks. Carnival PLC (the UK part) being what is left of P&O.

http://www.cunard.com/Voyage-Results/

Given the length of the voyage, one would need a number of vessels to operate a weekly or more frequent service.

The concept is very clearly cruising rather than simple crossing of the Atlantic.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Not sure Titanic II will go down too well……………

RichHI1
    Participant

Near the bone Martyn…

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite.

It was actually quite a small ship, I think smaller than the current Cunard mini-liners. Replicating it exactly probably wouldn’t realise the luxury people have come to expect these days…and the thought of it being made in a Chinese shipyard on the cheap doesn’t fill me with confidence.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nor me VK. I wish him well but feel the name “Titanic” should be well and truly laid to rest.

Just going back to Cunard and the QM2 etc. it is really a great way to cross the Atlantic. I’ve done it once from Southampton to New York and loved every minute. The clock goes back an hour each evening so there is no jet lag on arriving and we flew back BA for the return.

Next time I intend to do it the other way.

As we passed near where the Titanic sank, they played the theme music to the film. Not sure if it was intentional but it was a bit spooky nonetheless!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm.

It’s like when they play Neil Diamond’s Coming to America after you land at JFK. Pure fromage (was Virgin, natch…).

I’ve not crossed the Atlantic on a ship, but have done the QM2 which was OK, if you like posh Cross Channel Ferries. I’d be keen to do Southampton to NYC, just to cross it off the list.

What would be super would be to have a fully-realistic model of the Titanic you could walk around, like a stately. Add in a tea room and perhaps a talk by Alan Bennet and there would be little to beat it.

RichHI1
    Participant

To be honest I find this all a little too macabre for my tastes. This was a terrible tragedy and exposed large flaws in the regulatory provisions at the time. I think it is fitting to mark the centenary as an act of remembrance and memorial. I would further agree to perhaps a permanent memorial to be built to mark the centrnary in addition to those already commissioned, perhaps some form of museum as posted above, however a TItanic Ii crosses the ghoul line for me.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, I think we need to get over the grief bit; it was over 100 years ago now, and actually we should be grateful in some ways as many, many more lives were saved by such a dramatic tragedy as it forced safety to be markedly improved.

There is now an excellent museum in Belfast:

http://www.titanicbelfast.com/Home.aspx

RichHI1
    Participant

Poster who wishes not to be named, for me it is not grief but respect. As you observe corrctly, It is often the fact that disasters force change as the public is sickened.
    I respect those who died in many historic eventsbecause of circumstance notably the sacrifices of our armed forces and I am sure you will agree with me there. Not as grief but in respect for the dead.
    I find the prospect of a Titanic II a tad too commercial and disrespectful for my taste.
    Thank you for the link to the Belfast Museum. It was a terrible loss to that community given the numbers employed from Belfast. I still believe a monument in Central London and or New York might well act as a reminder to those of future generatiosn who forget the mistakes of history.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls