Australian airports ranked for service

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

LindsayW
    Participant

For the second year in a row Sydney Airport has ranked below every other major capital city in Australia for service quality.

For a fifth straight year Brisbane was judged as Australia’s best airport. Adelaide ranked equal first, followed by Perth and Melbourne.

A report by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission confirmed the complaint of many Sydneysiders, that its international gateway was a giant money drain.
    Link: url=http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23369954-5009000,00.html

Devin
    Participant

As per the Australian News channel and local blogger Sydney airport is ranked no. one in the top services. 2. Melbourne International Airport, 3. Adelaide Airport, 4. Brisbane Airport, 5.Perth International airport.

cwoodward
    Participant

Devin, with respect your post carries no real authority.
    Who were the news channel quoting please ?
    One blogger hardly supports the case that Sydney is number one for service against the report and advise of the ACCC.

I lived in Sydney for several years and used the airport almost every week and in my opinion the attitudes of the staff were never good or particularly helpful and the layout and convenience of the place in my opinion was always below par compared to Melbourne and the then endless corridors reminded me rather of many prefabricated sheds joined together. The fabric of the place has of course improved some since but so of course have the other major Australian airports and most to a greater extent.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[postquote quote=1322280]

Re Sydney it all depends which terminal too as they are all different. I’ve never had an issue with T2, which is the Qantas terminal. T1 which is international has certainly seen better days and the staff there at security can be very hit and miss and security is like a zoo. As for T3 not used it in years.

Based on my own experience I would say Canberra is the best overall airport from design and ease of use of any airport in Aus. Modern, it has the newer scanners that allow you to leave everything in your bag when you go through security, usually few queues and when there are they move fast. When it had international flights the layout of the airport and the process to get those flights made catching those flights a breeze too.

As for the article, like all of these best of reports it is all subjective and unless you know the methodology of how they came to get those results it is all pretty well meaningless anyway.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

The worst aspect of SYD airport is the geographical layout of the terminals. If transiting from a QANTAS international flight to domestic (or vice versa) it is quite the distance (3km in fact). And no fancy airside automated transits or such. When arriving in Sydney on an international flight you have to clear immigration, collect your baggage, pass through customs and then walk outside to locate the bus to the domestic terminal. When travelling the other way around (Domestic to International) you personally have to make the same journey although your baggage does not have to accompany you.

I LOVE travelling domestic in Australia. As domestic flights either operate from completely separate terminals or completely separate areas within terminals, IATA carry on baggage regulations do not apply. You can take through security whatever you like in terms of liquids. In fact, you do not even have to be travelling to pass security at the domestic checkpoints. Anyone can. It’s like those 1980’s american films. Someone meeting you from your inbound domestic flight can go all the way to your arrival gate to greet you.

The segregation of terminals has been a major issue in QANTAS not launching more international flights from PER. PER is structured like SYD with QANTAS domestic flights separated from the international terminal by a bus ride. The exception to this is the non-stop LHR – PER route which arrives into a designated sterile area of the Qantas Domestic terminal and continues on to MEL. QANTAS loves this arrangement and would like to expand it to other international destinations but PER Airport is insisting that any new QANTAS services depart the International Terminal.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[postquote quote=1335805]

Getting a little OT here, but the issue in Perth goes a bit deeper than that. In fact the owners of Perth Airport want Qantas to move all their operations to terminal 1 and 2 to enable them to redevelop terminals 3 and 4.

Qantas is in agreement with the move, even to the extent they sold the remaining years on their lease of terminal 3/4 back to Perth Airport. The sticking point for many years has been around a disagreement over aeronautical pricing, with Qantas withholding part payment and Perth Airport witholding payment for the buy back of the T4 lease in retaliation.

As a result of this fight, the airport has prevented Qantas moving any more international flights to terminal 3 which was Qantas’s short term plan before moving to T1/T2 around 2024/2025. I believe this issue is still before the courts, hopefully it will be resolved soon as one of the bad things about T3/4 is it is not on the line of the newly opened airport rail link.

But overall, how Perth airport wants things to work will deliver the far better outcome for all, as currently Perth is much like Sydney with the need to transfer between distant terminals. QF9/10 aside.

cwoodward
    Participant

Brother Jim -I was referring of course to the international terminal as clearly was the original post.
    I agree with rfurguson re domestic travel although I these days just use Sydney and Melbourne having no reason to go to Perth or Brisbane
    Domestic travel in NZ is also relatively easy but more of the international regulations are applied. Christchurch is a very good terminal but Auckland is a bit tight although the government did announce a couple of months ago that a new domestic terminal is going to be be built for Auckland…..I suspect that will be several years away and as the government is very likely to be a change to a conservative government in the upcoming election many of the big spending labour governments unaffordable plans are likely to be cancelled

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls