Austrain – terrible customer service

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Arleyguy
    Participant

Hi guys,

I was re-routed on an LHR – DNK last month resulting in a 10.5hr delay to arrival.

I put in a claim for compensation with Austrian under EU Passenger Rights. After a long email discussion, they have offered €200 in Austrian vouchers, citing that the delay was ‘outside of their control’.

However, the mitigating factor they are referring to is that weather delayed their inbound on the previous day meaning that my flight (6am next day) was delayed due to crew rest requirements. There’s an 8.5hr overnight gap between the flights – can they still play the ‘circumstances beyond our control’ card and ignore the EU Passenger Rights?

What’s worse is that two colleagues travelled on the same flight. They actually sent Austrain the exact same email as I did but had been travelling on redticket super-economy fares (I was regular economy). One got €400 compensation in cash, the other €200 in cash and I get €200 vouchers!

What do you guys think, where should i take this next?

Austrian contact center have started to simply ignore my mail, should I escalate to CAA EU Passenger rights complains arm?

Does anyone know whether there has been a ruling already about how long airlines can play the ‘external factors’ card for with these EU rights please?

Best,
    Arleyguy

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Arleyguy – For more information on the new EU ruling, suggest you read this article in the current issue.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/archive/2013/may-2013/special-reports/ita-s-payback-time

Also this new EU ruling was covered in detail on last Wednesday’s BBC Watchdog.

christopheL
    Participant

Arleyguy
    You just need to ask again for a fair compensation. Copy a link to this forum just to let OS know that no fair compensation for you 10.5hr will be publicaly criticized because it is critisizable.
    I used to have the same kind of problem with AF. It took me some time to get a compensation but I succeeded as one or your friend also did. The answer to your email was made by the wrong person; try again !

Arleyguy
    Participant

Hi ChristopheL – yeah, I generally don’t like to do that but it seams that with this inconsistency between how Austrian treats their customers, it’s dificult to see any other way!

Arleyguy
    Participant

I’ve escalated to the CAA’s EU Passenger Rights complaints procedure so I’ll post back when i have something from CAA or Austrain to report, watch this space!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

ArleyGuy

This may be a useful site for you

http://www.flightmole.com/forum/

There is lots of info about EU261 and the firm behind it may fight your case, for a % of any win.

Arleyguy
    Participant

thanks, will check that out!

Arleyguy
    Participant

CAA confirmed that they believe I’m entitled to compensation but Austrian still refuses to pay!

I’m going to pursue the matter through the EU small claims process. Will keep you posted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls