Auckland – Doha – Pisa

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Health Warning to Forum Members: This post contains mildly critical comments about an airline other than BA. This may come as a shock to some readers…

After a fantastic work – leisure combo in New Zealand, we dropped off the hire car ahead of our mammoth 17 hour hop to Doha. This was the return leg of our amazing €960 fare in Business, commencing in Pisa. Direct flights to from Auckland to Doha started just 3 weeks ago (we just missed out on the outbound) and this newness was painfully obvious at check-in where the technology (baggage label printing) went wrong and both Premium Lanes were non-operational for quite some time. Nobody took responsibility for allocating new lanes so we just waited while Economy passengers continued their check-in. Staff just shrugged their shoulders helplessly. After a longish wait, we were checked through to Pisa along (hopefully) with our baggage. I cheekily asked whether our bags could be checked onwards through from Pisa with BA but we were (rightly) refused. For some reason, Business passengers were not given a Departure card (we requested ours) while Economy passengers were, leading to many fellow pointy-enders having to complete theirs upstairs before approaching Immigration. I asked about express lanes for priority passengers – “sorry, no such thing for Qatar in Auckland” so we queued in the main line only to find other Qatar premium passengers waved through the Express line. A somewhat confused experience.

(As an aside, check-in staff were smartly dressed in Qatar uniforms as is the case with Emirates ground staff at out stations although I am sure they were third party, given that there is only one QR flight a day. So, presumably, the same team reappear later in Emirates, Singapore or other uniforms. They must have changing rooms like back stage in a theatre and the potential for confusion is clearly there – is it my purple socks or my red ones next? I like the theatrical parallel – Exit stage left, pursued by an irate passenger!!).

Qatar use the Qantas lounge in Auckland (two Qs without Us in the same sentence!!) and we were informed that flights would be called when boarding commences. There is a general Business lounge to which we were directed – the ‘By Invitation’ door remained firmly closed despite my OW Emerald status. The lounge was busy but not crowded with 2 QF, an AA and our QR flights imminent. Catering was imaginative for lunchtime although we just grazed lightly. The flight was indeed called quite early and we made our way to the gate to be met by a sign – “Boarding will commence in 20 minutes”. Some ironing out needed here as well.

Once on board, we found out seats in the rear of the two Business cabins but, as only one door was in use on the 777-200, were faced with a constant through flow of economy passengers for some while. This inhibited pre-flight service but we were able to get a drink – the pink champagne had been finished on the outbound leg (not only a BA problem!!). Crew greetings were perfunctory although the CSD (or whatever) did come round later. Amenity kits, PJs and menus followed before take-off. Once up in the air, service was attentive and friendly so no complaints there.

Seating is 2-2-2 in 2 cabins of 4 rows. On the outbound to Melbourne, we had been in the forward cabin and I would recommend that if you get the choice. It is certainly quieter as Economy are just a curtain away, although, to be fair, this was not an issue. The QR seat on the 777-200 is fine in an up-right/ semi-upright position but I find the flat option very uncomfortable – it does not feel fully 180 degrees and has a distinct ridge about shoulder level. My wife slept much better than me, with few complaints, however. We did not make much use of the IFE but what we did use was a clumsy experience, a bigger screen but poorer functionality than the operation on the A319 later.

We pushed back on time and the captain informed us that the flying time would be 16 hours 45 minutes (disappointed not to hit the 17 mark!!). Drinks and hot nuts were served after take-off and we opted for lunch about 2 hours into the flight. My mezze, as usual, was excellent, followed by a tender fillet steak (which I only got after a check that they were not sold out) and fresh fruit. I worked, read and tried to sleep for the next 10 hours, ordering regular cups of tea to keep me going. About 3 hours out, herself was hungry so we order breakfast – fruit again and a lovely omelette. We landed a few minutes early and remote parked. Qatar bus Business Class passengers first so we were away quickly and straight into an empty security area for transit passengers. It was here that my wifi connection gave me the sad news of the League Cup final result…… I should have flown home earlier in order to add my voice to the support at Wembley.

We had a long wait in the QR business lounge but it was very quiet for most of the time and sleep was welcome. This was after a shower and change for the next leg. We decided on a terminal walk before our next flight and managed a brisk 45 minutes which felt good. Boarding for our A319 to Pisa was via buses but was smooth and uneventful. The seats are great for a daytime flight of 6 hours – far superior to our Qantas experience on the 737 a few weeks ago and much better than anything in Europe. Seating is 2-2 over 4 rows.

Drinks were served before take-off, through the mayhem of Economy boarding of what appeared to be a full flight. Amenity kits were at our seats on arrival and breakfast/ snack menus were handed out. We opted for breakfast some two hours into the flight and this arrived without any prompting – energiser, fruit, cereal, another omelette (some 10 hours after the last one) and coffee. Service was slightly stand-off but did the trick. A smooth flight and arrival ahead of schedule followed. We deplaned onto the tarmac and were bussed the short distance to Pisa’s small terminal for Immigration and baggage collection and in plenty of time for our BA flight to LHR.

The verdict, then, on a Skytrak 5 star airline?

Check-in – mixed. Pisa on the outbound was fine, Auckland on the return was chaos

Lounges – Pisa (3rd party and minimal), Doha (large and fine), Auckland (Qantas – fine but misleading call for flight boarding)

Transit airport (Doha) – easy, not overcrowded and fast

Seating – A319 excellent, 777-200 uncomfortable, especially for sleep

IFE – did not use but my wife enjoyed although difficult to use on the 777

F and B – good but not spectacular

Service – some touches of personalisation but generally efficient, did the job, not too many smiles

Baggage – Auckland (from Qantas), slow; Pisa – excellent

Value – Fantastic!!!!

Overall – certainly not 5*, maybe 3.5 – 4?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Health Warning to Forum Members: This post contains mildly critical comments about an airline other than BA. This may come as a shock to some readers…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNrLI3OBwg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls