Athens hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

SGJNI1961
    Participant

A two day stopover in June on our way to Mykonos. Which hotel? We want to do all the obvious things as easily as possible in such a short time. Having done some research there seem to be 2 or 3 candidates but my preference is The Melia but is its location a problem? All recommendations appreciated.

Stamford777
    Participant

For a well located 3 star property I can recommend the Philippos (http://www.philipposhotel.gr/)
    It is walking distance to the Metro,Acropolis Museum and the Plaka.It is similar to a Novotel and is in a quiet local neighbourhood.
    The same company has a 4 star property around the corner called the Herodion which has a great rooftop bar looking up to the Parthenon. I did not stay there but it looked perfectly OK.
    I do not know the Melia.
    If you are taking an early ferry to Mykonos then you might want to consider the Hotel Phidias in Piraeus.It is similar to the Philippos and has a van that will deliver you to the gangplank of your ferry whatever the hour. Pireaus is more blue collar than central Athens but still has markets and restaurants that are worth checking out.

icenspice
    Participant

I can recommend another 3* hotel in the coastal suburb of Glyfada – the Best Western – close to the former airport. Swimming pool, balconies etc. Across the very busy main road there is a metro stop, small beach and a few restaurants. It doesn’t take that long either in a taxi to central Athens and coming from the airport you will avoid the city altogether coming down the back road.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I always stay at the Hilton Athens. Easy walk to Kolonaki and onward to Syntagma. Best bar on the roof of the hotel, and the city’s best and largest outdoor pool . It’s like being in a resort in the center of the city. Best and quickest route to the airport and fast route as well to the port as location avoids small congested roads of downtown. An excellent hotel!

EU_Flyer
    Participant

As a resident of Athens, please let me put forward my 2 drachma worth.

Avoid the Melia. The location is in probably the worst part of Athens a tourist could be stuck in. In fact avoid Omonia all together.

As many of the excellent suggestions above have alluded to, the best place to stay are the areas called Syntagma and Plaka. Both are very close to the Acropolis and other sites as well as great bars, restaurants, tavernas, cafes etc.

Avoid Piraeus as well. My office overlooks the harbour but that’s about the only thing the place has going for it. Unless you know where to go, you could end up getting stuck in an awful area.

The Hilton is great and only 1 metro stop from Syntagma square. It’s like a mini resort in the middle of an upper middle class inner city suburb and has a great pool and impressive, yet severely overpriced bar – Galaxy. Alternatively, anywhere in Kolonaki is great. It’s the high end shopping area of Athens. There are plenty of great hotels in the area.

There is also great boutique hotel called New Hotel which is centrally located and has a great rooftop bar worth visiting. Same goes for ‘A for Athens’.

I haven’t mentioned many specific hotels as I find getting onto a accomodation booking site and seeing the photos usually helps. Hope the location recommendation helps though.

As for dinner, try the Thissio area next to Plaka. Great views and a nice choice of restaurants with outdoor seating. And for coffee, visit the Lycabettus Hill. has a cute church on the top with a lovely cafe next door. Highest hill in Athens and has breathtaking views. It’s in Kolonaki and close to Syntagma Square.

Any more question, feel free to ask. 😉

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will take another look but the Hilton is looking likely as it’s a first visit to Athens and it seems to be the most straight forward for this trip although I do like the sound of some of the others.

fatbear
    Participant

I always stay in the Athens Hilton. Definitely worth it if you have access to the Executive Lounge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls