Aspire Lounge Manchester T1 16th June 2017

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

After a dreadful experience clearing security at Manchester T1, we were looking forward to visiting the Aspire Lounge to relax and have a bite to eat.

When we arrived at approximately 7.30pm, we were warmly welcomed and I decided to take a newspaper to read. However, only a few national dailies were available and those were decidedly worse for wear. No paper for me, then!

We chose seats overlooking the runway, and this view is one of the best features of this particular lounge, and something we have enjoyed many times.

The food on offer was very poor. The receptionist had mentioned how busy the lounge had been all day, but there can be no excuse for the abysmal amount of available food:

Lukewarm tomato &red pepper soup

• A handful of scones

• A handful of biscuits (many broken) in a jar

• A few packets of cream crackers and miniature cheese portions

• A small amount of peanuts

• Yoghurts

And that was it: no bread rolls, no crisps, the hot food racks were bare.

It beggars belief that a large organization can be so ill prepared for a busy day. Surely sourcing additional supplies is not that difficult a concept to deal with? The lounge website promises great things, but clearly failed to deliver on this occasion.

As a member of Aer Lingus’ Aer Club, I didn’t actually pay for admission; however, I assume that the airline pays the lounge operator a fee for each passenger. Had I parted with my own money, I would be very annoyed at being expected to pay for a lounge product which was not fit for purpose.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Pat

Next time, try the Escape lounge – opposite.

You will find a selection of warm pies, sausage rolls, quiche, cold cuts, bread and cheese, as well as sandwiches and soup – at 7.30pm.

IIRC, the Aspire deliberately provides a lean selection of snacks in the evening.

In the morning, the Aspire is better, as they serve bacon rolls (like the escape), but these are kept in a warm cabinet and you can return for another, if hungry, whereas the Escape is made to order.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi FDOS,

Aer Lingus used to have a contract with Escape. There was a very good offering and I always enjoyed relaxing there.

If only Aer Lingus could be persuaded to return to Escape……

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Have you got a Priorit Pass or Dragonpass? The Escape accepts both.

FWIW, I find the Aspire a nicer lounge (your point about views is well made), but sometimes the Escape suits me better for the food – I sometimes use the Escape in T3 (if I’m not transferring at Heathrow), as the BA lounge food offering is thin on the ground, so I’ll get something solid and then avail myself of the better wine next door 🙂

GivingupBA
    Participant

FDOS_UK, thanks for the tip about the Escape Lounge in T3.

I like the Escape Lounge in T2 a lot since it was upgraded.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls