Arrivals Lounge SYD

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

pdwtrip
    Participant

We have booked LHR/SYD in FC using the 2 for 1 airmiles – which is fine – on arrival we will transfer to a QF flight to MEL around 4 hours later.

I am a silver card holder and my wife has none.

There seems to be no arrivals lounge and the cost of a Business fare on QF seems V high just to use thier domestic lounge.

Be good to have a shower and breakfast.

Any advice? Is there a pay to use lounge? Better with local hotel?

Seems so strange no arrivals lounge.

NTarrant
    Participant

Sadly there is no arrivals lounge. But the domestic departure lounge is not too bad

BABenji
    Participant

You (as a Silver Card holder) will be able to use the Qantas Club for your domestic departure to MEL. Your wife will be able to accompany you as a guest. There are shower facilities in the Qantas Club in Sydney.

pdwtrip
    Participant

Thanks for that – I had thought the same – but on checking it’s Gold only for the domestic lounge – specifically excluded on the QF website

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

pdwtrip, I have good news!

As a silver Exec Club member, you are oneworld sapphire (blue oval on card). Sapphire card holders ARE indeed eligible for entry to the domestic Qantas Club.

(The exception you mention relates ONLY to QF Gold members accessing the domestic Business lounge, and is basically an historical remnant from pre-oneworld days).

As a oneworld sapphire, you are also entitled to bring in one guest, so your wife is fine as well. Simply show your BA silver Exec Club card and your onward boarding passes, and you will certainly be admitted.

See here for full details of Qantas Club entry (scroll right down to the bottom for the oneworld status access):

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/qantas-club-lounge-access/global/en

So this will get you access to the SYD domestic Qantas Club. When you exit through Immigration at SYD international, turn right and keep going to the QF domestic transfer area. They will then take you, by bus across the tarmac, to the domestic terminal. Then go upstairs and enter the Qantas Club. They have showers etc there and it is quite pleasant.

One other point: you don’t mention what class you are booked in for your domestic flight SYD-MEL. If it is in Business class, then you can also use the Qantas domestic Business lounge.

When you depart Australia, if you are flying F out of SYD, you will be able to use the exceptional Qantas First lounge. Make sure you get to the airport quite early as this is a wonderful experience (and do try to book a spa treatment; best booked at least 24 hours in advance).

As to the issue of arrivals lounges – people from the UK are very fortunate – Heathrow has dedicated arrivals lounges for quite a number of airlines. Understandably, UK residents then often expect that airports in other major cities will have them too. The truth is that VERY few airports anywhere in the world, other than LHR, have arrivals lounges. LHR would have more than the rest of the world put together, I think.

Hope that clarifies everything. Enjoy your trip!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I agree with JohnPhelanAustralia that very few airport has Arrival lounges like the ones in Heathrow. Cathay Pacific has a small but quite nice Arrival lounge with 5-6 shower rooms and it is open to Oneworld EMERALD members and I use it each time I come back from the CX over-night flight from Sydney as it generally gets into HK before the first Airport Express train service into town. A final note to complimenting the wonderful Qantas First lounge on departing Sydney!

pdwtrip
    Participant

Many thanks for clarifying that John

Looking forward to the Qantas lounge in due course!

David
    Participant

Not to digress too much on the thread, but I must second FlyingChinaman’s endorsement of the Qantas First lounge in Sydney. I had the opportunity to use it in December and wow – what a treat! From a culinary perspective, it is effectively the Condorde Room moved down-under.

Given the chance, you’d also enjoy trying the Qatar Airways Premium Terminal (for First and Business Class Travellers), which I pass through about every second month. You’re in for a treat, especially if you’re travelling First (connections within the Middle East from Doha are normally only 2 classes so a Business Class ticket into DOH will give you ‘First Class’ to an onward Gulf destination). The Qatar First lounge even tops Qantas’ champers with Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 1996 on offer (compared to the NV Veuve Clicquot offered by Qantas!). The nice range of sushi to accompany the bubbly too is a nice touch…

Binman62
    Participant

Agree First Lounge is wonderful in Syd, fabulous view and superb service.

What i really wnat to know though is how you got 2 tickets to Syd on BA miles. Have been looking for months and last night found two on the 20th and 21st february next year but nothing back. Would love to know how you did it?

Binman62
    Participant

Agree First Lounge is wonderful in Syd, fabulous view and superb service.

What I really wnat to know though is how you got 2 tickets to Syd on BA miles. Have been looking for months and last night found two on the 20th and 21st february next year but nothing back. Would love to know how you did it?

pdwtrip
    Participant

It was not quick – and in the end I found the best way was to ring the EC number and book with a person – took a few calls – but everyone was helpful, friendly and quite used to the idea that it would take several calls to get the right booking.
    Good luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls