Around the world trip – any suggestions ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

In that case Martyn, sounds like you will love it. Good luck finding the right voyage (not cruise) for you.

One important tip by the way, take a few toilet rolls, onboard ones as I recall when I worked on DFDS and on my freighter cruise were like sandpaper!!!

JohnMcManus
    Participant

Travel and tourism are very personal and what defines a good holiday changes over time as the person changes and the venue changes. I loved Angkor 15 years ago when there were few tourists in the wet season, now the more famous temples can seem like Disneyland on a bad day. But the magic can still be found in isolated places like Koh Ker. Conversely I have never enjoyed the Pyramids as much as this year.
    My advice would be to take things slowly. Somewhere like North Korea exhausts you – you needs time to reflect on what you’ve seen.
    I’ve visited or lived in 70 countries and would save Rio and Sri Lanka are my favourite destinations. Slow and repeated visits offer most.

Cloud-9
    Participant

There is a daily flying postman service fom Cairns; the route varies according to the day of the week.

Jordan is fabulous as you can experience the Dead sea, Petra and the desert, all in the same friendly country.

If visiting the Galapagos (best airport code ever: GPS!) be aware that direct flights only depart from Guayaquil and it is worth spending a couple of nights there. The equator is, of course, less then an hour bus ride from Quito and the Teleferica there is one of the highest cable cars in the world.

Do visit the DMZ in Vietnam and stay in Hanoi old town. Cambodia is well worth a week of your life

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

If you’ve plenty of Charles, how about some visits well off the beaten track? It does not feature in that many standard tourist itineraries but Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia and thence onto the Govi desert: blue sky Mongolia where you can see from horizon to horizon up on the high plateau. And Nadaam, being the festival of three manly sports, in UB in June is quite a spectacle.

There again, touring off the beaten track might also include Burma which has its own equivalent to Ankhor What in Pagan – which is on the Ayewaddy west south west of Mandalay. Inle Lake to the south east of Mandalay is also breathtakingly gorgeous.

We did the Whitsundays for the Great Barrier Reef (you can either fly to Prosperine or direct from SYD) and there are any number of GBR options thereabouts.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

If you’ve plenty of time Charles, how about some visits well off the beaten track? It does not feature in that many standard tourist itineraries but Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia and thence onto the Govi desert: blue sky Mongolia where you can see from horizon to horizon up on the high plateau. And Nadaam, being the festival of three manly sports, in UB in June is a real spectacle.

There again, touring off the beaten track might also include Burma which has its own equivalent to Ankhor What in Pagan – which is on the Ayewaddy west south west of Mandalay. Inle Lake to the south east of Mandalay is also breathtakingly gorgeous. To note, surface transport is, to all intents, how it was back in 1948 so if you need to get around in a hurry, the domestic airlines such as Air KBZ are worth trying out.

We did the Whitsundays for the Great Barrier Reef (you can either fly to Prosperine or direct from SYD) and there are any number of GBR options thereabouts.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls