Are West Coast trains as bad as they say?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

BA4ever
    Participant

THE QUESTION IS ABOUT EAST COAST, SORRY!!!

Hello again,
    Hope you don’t mind all my questions…

During my next trip to England, I might need to go from London to Leeds and Manchester or Peterborough.

No reason to worry about Manchester since I will take the Pendolino and probably opt for first class.

For Leeds and Peterborough though, I see that my only option if I want a direct train is the (in)famous East Coast trains. Although I have no personal experience, I hear many bad things about them.

Are they really so nasty? Shall I expect the worst and hope for the best? Shall I look for indirect trains when the time comes or are the trips so short that it’s not worth the fuss?
    I will, of course, choose first class for these trips, because from what I read cattle class is baaaaad.

craigwatson
    Participant

I think you will find that leeds and peterborough are on the east coast, hence it will be East Coast trains that run this route… They aren’t bad, but not great either. Good value for money? depends on the deal you get.

BA4ever
    Participant

Oh my, yes! East Coast, that’s what I meant!!!
    I’ll see if I can edit it.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

East Coast have often been considered the best in First Class. I think the Pendolino’s are good, but the East Coast IC225’s are better (or the HST’s). If you had said 5 years ago they were streets ahead and by far the best, but they have dropped off a bit sadly.

BA4ever
    Participant

I guess I shouldn’t worry too much then… Thanks!

Shearer
    Participant

East Coast first class is great. However London to Peterborough is a very short hop so you won’t really get much

BA4ever
    Participant

I know but I figured that if I book in advance it won’t be very expensive and I will be able to buy a pass for the lounge for 5 quid and not deal with the chaos at KX.

BA4ever
    Participant

Wow, thank for that!
    Quite different reviews from the ones I found on other websites.
    I’m definitely not worrying now.

I only wish I will get to use both EC and Virgin and make the comparison.

Shearer
    Participant

Also, Kings Cross is rather fabulous now.

Anything is better than First Capital Connect which is the other operator to Peterborough!

BA4ever
    Participant

Yes, I just realised that as I was searching for fares and schedules, LOL!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls