Are UK Passports now Stamped when Entering the EU?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

• FormerBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094748]

Everything is about Brexit! There is very little about life in the UK that is not directly or indirectly impacted by it.

Much as I like a stamp in my passport I haven’t had a EU stamp since the early 1980’s. The more stamps the more likely I am to need a new passport – therefore more cost. if I work in the EU – I may need a visa, potentially more cost. To holiday there from next year will require a ESTA , more cost. Then there roaming charges, Insurance, import and export costs which have, or are likely to rise. And this is all before there is any discussion on lost rights, opportunities, markets and the ability to live, work, retire or travel freely around 27 nations.

We are where we are and I get that, but until my dying day I will highlight the utter folly of what we did and the consequences of that fateful decision.

10 users thanked author for this post.

blloyd
    Participant

My passport is full of stamps from EU countries – I’ve been collecting them for years

LHRSENflyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094806]

Alainboy56, agree that reicprocity would imply this UK govt has an ounce of competence, which it has yet to display. No inbound customs checks until October because apparently Brexit, 5 years in the making, came as a surprise to those in power on 2021/01/01.
    I must assume the ONS will account for the lost man hours of waiting in passport control queues in the final reckoning of Brexit costs.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

Funny you mention this, Alain, because I watched a French film last night and it shows the border crossing between Switzerland and France during a drive from Lausanne to Evian and/or vice versa.

TominScotland
    Participant

jjlasne, that would probably be at St Gingolph. I used to stay in Le Bouveret about 4 km away regularly for work in the 1990s and would walk to St G, amble into France on a Sunday afternoon with virtually no checks either way.

I did this because, in 1938, my father was a refugee in Geneva, wanting to travel to Paris (and eventually to Britain). He did this by taking the tourist steamer from Geneva to Evian on a Sunday when the French border guards were not on duty. Then a train to Paris….. My walk was in honour of his flight to France.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

They don’t stamp it between Gibraltar (UK) and Spain

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1095119]

Last time I crossed between Gibraltar and Spain they didn’t even look at passports going in either direction. That was pre-Brexit. Do they check them now, even if they don’t stamp them?

FormerBA
    Participant

As part of the Brexit deal Gibraltar became part of Schengen. There is no border check between Spain and Gibraltar now but there is between Gibraltar and the GB.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

So do you have to quarantine in the UK if you return from Gibraltar ?

ASK1945
    Participant

Gibraltar (British Overseas Territory) travel advice – GOV.UK
    http://www.gov.uk › … › Living in Gibraltar
    If you are arriving in the [UK] from Gibraltar on or after 4am on 18 January you will need to self-isolate on your arrival, unless you have a valid exemption.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1095186]

Yes.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094715]

Others above have explained Norway and Switzerland. The UK, of course, is part of the Common Travel Area with Ireland, so no immigration procedures for Brits entering Ireland

2 users thanked author for this post.

Hannada
    Participant

It’s entirely because Iceland, Switzerland and Norway are in the EU Single Market and have Freedom of Movement, something the UK refused to countenance. Which is why we are treated as a third country with all of the hassle that involves, including stamps, 90/180 days and loss of jobs and free travel in the EU. Brexit madness frankly.

philip
    Participant

ohhhhh …how those Orwellian days get closer all the time…;)

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1096150]

I disagree. They are already with us.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls