Are Turkey’s airports the most expensive in the world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Free Lance
    Keymaster

I heard that Turkey’s airports are the most expensive in the world when it comes to buying food and drink, but the authorities are looking into the problem, and are looking to crack down on over charging in the hope of ridding it by 2010 when it becomes the European Capital of Culture.

I find it hard to imagine that it is pricier than London Heathrow or Gatwick, for example, but maybe I am wrong? And even if airports are expensive, don’t people mostly wait until they get on the plane to eat and drink?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I used Dalaman this year and was astonished at the price of food and drink, £11 for two waters and a diet coke.
    Many resorts are a distance from the airports in Turkey, so you cannot always wait for the in flight service, (assuming its worth waiting for!)and security screening is at the terminal entrance so you cannot take liquids past that point.

JillGuest
    Participant

You can take liquids through in hand luggage in Turkey, I’ve done so many times. I wouldn’t dream of buying anything at the airport (with the exception of duty free) and I tell family and friends travelling there to make sure they take snacks and drinks with them in case of delays. The situation is unlikely to change at any point soon as the problem stems from extortionate rents charged by the airport authorities.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls