Are luggage tracking devices authorised? (AirTags and others)

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• zeus1
    Participant

Ultimately it’s a combination of mechanical and human interaction and airlines won’t have a 100% baggage delivery rate. Some are better.

The volume of delayed, lost bags is also not a huge percentage ( I believe it’s not even 1%) but of course not a nice experience.

In addition it’s a cost to airlines if they are delayed or ultimately lost, and some travellers rant as if it’s intentional. It’s not as if the airline wants to pay €1800.

AirTags also don’t do anything to assist the airline.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[postquote quote=1244815]

I recently brought some after a lost baggage experience where one of my two bags went missing on a flight from Zurich to Malta. One of the two bags is now officially lost forever (and still waiting for my payment, thanks Air Malta) and the other made it. So thought I would get some for the future. That was 5 months ago now.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I travelled with airtags on 4 peices of luggage from London to Bangkok via Singapore and then Bangkok to Koh Samui and return. My Qantas flight to Singapore was, as is the case these days for QF2 delayed, which meant in Singapore my family and I only had 20 minutes to make the connecting flight to Jetstar. Jetstar sent a cart to collect us and we made the connection fine, but as we knew anyway the bags didn’t make it.

On arrival in Bangkok sure enough we could see the bags sitting at Changi. Whilst having that knowledge was handy, Jetstar wasn’t able to allow us to make a lost bag report until they had confirmation all bags had been delivered to the belt in Bangkok. So even though we knew they weren’t there we were not able to get out of the airport any faster, though of course it did mean we were first in line to make a report which is maybe something.

Waking up the next morning it was comforting to see the bags had moved at Changi to what appeared to be a gate and that they hadn’t been seen for 2 hours, and even more so when an hour later they were reported as being in Bangkok. It was also both handy and frustrating seeing them out for delivery and the route the driver took to deliver them. Not sure why he went from one side of the centre part of Bangkok to the other, presumably dropping other peoples bags but eventually they arrived around 4pm.

A week late we travelled to Koh Samui, and again it was handy to know the bags had made it to Samui, especially when the bags were coming in slow dips and drabs. But when we left it made us a bit anxious to see that when we checked in 2 of our bags were reporting their location whilst we waited 2 hours for our flight but 1 was not updating its location, with the last known time and location being the check-in counter. When we arrive in Bangkok again 2 bags were reporting being there, but the 3rd still in Samui. The only thing that gave me hope it may have made the flight was the fact that the last reported time and location was at check-in.

Anyway the bag that wasn’t reporting was the first to come out, and within seconds of being reunited with us its location updated.

So all in all, yes its handy to know where your bags are, but by the same token if they aren’t knowing where they are doesn’t really help that much, except maybe give confidence they are somewhere. Which I guess is what annoys me about my missing Air Malta bag, and that is the lack of knowledge as to what happened to it. Is it sitting in a pile of unclaimed luggage at Zurich, in the bowels of the baggage handling system there, or did someone pinch it? Guess I will never know, but if I had an airtag I might have a better idea.

Oh and the 4th piece of luggage from Bangkok to Samui, we left that with relatives in Bangkok. They got a bit worried however when their iPhone reported they were being tracked by someone!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

A brief summary of the current state of play from DAC Beechcroft (law firm)

1. Airtags in bags? Dangerous goods regulations could revisit their use

Following a flurry of press coverage about lost baggage in late 2022, the prevailing view is that tracking devices such as the Apple Airtag or Samsung Galaxy Smart Tag are permissible in checked luggage, and do not constitute a breach of aviation dangerous goods regulations issued by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). The US Federal Aviation Administration has stated “luggage tracking devices powered by lithium metal cells that have 0.3g or less of lithium can be used on checked baggage”. The European Aviation Safety Agency by contrast notes Regulation (EU) 965/2012 on air operations places responsibility on airlines, saying the devices are allowed as long as they have no impact on the safe operation of the aircraft. Typically these tags operate with a CR2032 battery containing around 0.1g of lithium. The reality is that these devices are basic and exist to track location, operating as little more than a GPS-style beacon. However, technology has perhaps moved more quickly than the regulators, and we foresee ICAO issuing more specific guidance to provide further clarity.

https://insurance.dacbeachcroft.com/predictions/aviation/

(Also pieces on Ghost Flights and high prices for fuel being passed on to consumers – “The upside for the aviation industry is a (passenger) customer-base that, although stretched financially, perhaps now sees travel post-COVID as more of a luxury.”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Tom

This is from the GEGO site

https://support.gego.io/hc/en-us/articles/10008143215380-Is-it-safe-to-use-GEGO-GPS-in-flights-Is-GEGO-GPS-approved-by-Airlines-

“We at GEGO are permanently looking out for the latest security updates from all the different organisms that regulate air travel, such as IATA, FAA, TSA, EASA, etc.
    GEGO GPS uses a 9.62 Watt-hour (2600 mAh) battery, which is way below the maximum threshold that regulators require*.

*The maximum battery size for a PED (personal electronic device) on a flight is 100 Watt-hour.”

Also, GEGO GPS has a patented Triaxial Accelerometer that was engineered to turn off the device when in flight, turning back on once the plane comes to a full stop.

However, when questioned by a jobsworth check in agent, the words of FAA/CAA and DAC Beechroft are pretty irrelevant.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1338915]

So the question is not so much about whether tracking devices are allowed, but whether lithium batteries allowed. Lithium batteries, of course, will be in many devices, not just tracking devices.

Despite what the article suggests, Apple AirTags don’t have GPS built into them. In fact all they do is use a Bluetooth signal which they hope will be picked up by other people’s iPhones and iPads which happen to be in the immediate area. It’s those devices which report back to Apple that they have detected the device and provide its location. If there are no other Apple devices in the area then an AirTag will not work.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1338927]all the different organisms that regulate air travel[/quote]

Martyn – was that a cut and paste straight quote, or re-typed by you? I had no idea that organisms regulate air travel !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1338932]Martyn – was that a cut and paste straight quote, or re-typed by you? I had no idea that organisms regulate air travel ![/quote]

straight cut and paste, the page is referenced from the link…. 🙂

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Tom about peace of mind…

On Saturday, I boarded a flight to SIN at CDG, where I connected. I “saw” my piece of luggage by the aircraft, so felt happy … until I still “saw” it there, at CDG, when I landed in SIN! Oups.

It was my first use of an AirTag, and an encouragement to do it in the future as at least I could see where it was.

oliverjames666
    Participant

There have been reports of some airlines, including Delta and Qantas, banning the use of Apple AirTags on their flights. This is due to concerns that the devices could interfere with aircraft navigation systems and cause safety hazards. However, not all airlines have banned AirTags and the issue is still under review. If you plan to travel with an AirTag, it’s best to check with your airline beforehand to ensure compliance with their policies.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls