April 2011: iPad2

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have not yet taken the plunge with one of these.

Apart from using it in the kitchen to read recipes, I don’t see much of an advantage over a MacBook, as I need to have a keyboard, and am not keen on virtual keyboards.

Handy for watching movies in the bath, though, which is probably what I would use it for most.

But do hold back purchasing one for Christmas; looks like Apple will have a new one out in the Spring:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/11/21/apple-ipad-2-release-cycle-like-iphone-ipod-touch/

VintageKrug
    Participant

Just a bump was many of us brave the shops this weekend and might be tempted…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

VK

If you are unsure, have you considered buying a cheap 7″ Android tablet, to see how much utility it would give you?

I got one as a ‘toy’ a few months ago and it’s great for reading online newspapers, quick surfing etc.

I’m happy to stick with this, but if you found it useful, you could then get an iPad safe in the knowledge your investment is worthwhile.

Mine was about 60GBP, delivered, from ebay – it certainly is not as well built or capable as an iPad (the biggest differnence is perhaps in the huge amoutn of apps for the iPad) , but it does exactly what it says on the tin and my wife has just asked fo a similar one for Xmas, for the same type of use.

CMBurchardt says he has a Samsung Galaxy tab, which looks like a quality version of mine!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Possible leak, though I haven’t seen one while here myself this week, and think this is a fake:

http://www.gadgetsandgizmos.org/the-apple-ipad-2-caught-on-video/

VintageKrug
    Participant

Slightly sooner than planned, watch out for the US launch Wednesday 2 March!

Stevefromsydney
    Participant

Mac Rumors has always been a good site for pre-release info on apple products
    http://www.macrumors.com/

VintageKrug
    Participant

Jesus introduces the latest tablets from Mount Apple:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1103pijanbdvaaj/event/index.html

stevescoots
    Participant

PC, notebooks, tablets is part of my companies customer base (we manufacture componants)

Vk your are right, why buy a pad over a macbook, pointless.

apart from an Ipod (not perfect the the best there is out there) I absolutly refuse to buy anything from the church of jobsianoligy. Dont get me wrong, they make some real nice looking designs, I see nothing that apple has done technology wise that was not done by others, apples strength is in maximising marketing for these products.

knowing the industry, and the company its self, the cost bases as i do. its a matter of principle. Anyway, this isnt an anti apple rant thread. will step off my soapbox now

stevescoots
    Participant

Also, the launch is assuming that Foxconn Longhua can keep the supply, I did notice the suicide nets had been taken off some of the buildings the other week.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Does your firm have a spellcheck function? It’s integrated on most Macs… 😉 🙂

stevescoots
    Participant

haaaaa, I knew you were going to say that!

I just rapid type and hit send! and yes, I already checked my other post 🙂 🙂

Deleted User
    Participant

with all these new hardware gizmos their effectiveness is all down to the effective use by their handler. I am sure there is someone out there that can type 60 word per minute on an i phone 4 or can surf the web at acceptable speeds on the ipad 1 or 2, or who can make a lap top’s battery last long enough.

It has often been said that you shouldnt become a slave to these new toys, but the reality is, that any one of these, tablets, blackberry’s and i machines, if used to their full capability, can, basically, manage your life and business.

Unfortunately though, there are other factors, like typing skills and eyesight that come into play, as well as what the other “stuff” the user needs to carry.

The skill of hardware selection is more along the line of managing exepctations and ensuring your chosen “armoury” will indeed deliver expectations.

I am sure the iPAD 2, 3, 4 and 5 will succeed because of the fantastic brand that Apple have created. However, dont discount the other offerings.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls