Appalling service on BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

Business Class……I doubt if there is any airline in the world that offers the same hard product in F or J across their entire longhaul fleet!…except of course BA don’t….. Many long haul aircraft no longer have F at all ……as for there being a recession. Clearly not as far a BA fares as concerned ex the UK. 4 seats to HKG in August £21K ex LHR Same dates and flight but start in AMS just £7k or about the same a WT+

If BAs unique selling point is simply a flat bed in J then frankly they are in more trouble than I thought.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Any business needs to keep an eye on costs, but some minor savings ensure that the desirability of the product offering is reduced. For example, the towel service on boarding in Club Europe been removed, did it really cost that much? Yet it was always a welcome relief when boarding the plane and a nice start to the flight.

My previous comany used to be quite tight, and on short haul we would always travel economy, however for my summer holiday flights I would usually treat myself to Club Europe, and would look forward to this. Last year flew to Madrid and Barcelona and it was a disappointment and an anticlimax. The lack of towel, food offering inferior to what it was 2/3 years ago etc.

This year I am wondering if should pay the extra for C class and go economy/traveller or indeed try another carrier.

Indeed I used to proudly recommend BA to clients flying into UK and for friends coming to visit, but am less inclined to do so now.

I see that Lufthansa is beginning to offer a meal service in economy again on short haul flghts, and has been detailed here in other posts other carriers are being far more competitive, it will be interesting to see if BA even tries to respond.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I am sure that some travel pedant will say I should start a new forum, but it is a service issue. Travelled First yesterday PHL-LHR and for the first time in a gazillion trips was informed that on the ground they could only serve me (mediocre Taittinger) champagne and not the vodka tonic I have always enjoyed before take off. for many years. Apparently BA is only licensed to serve (quote) Duty Paid Champagne while on the ground. Since when and why – anyone else had this more than weird experience ??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Here’s a good idea nevereconomy:

Buy yourself some Lord Krug approved chilled poo from duty free, ask for a glass of water when you take your economy seat, drink the water, wipe the beaker dry, with your sleeve, pop the poo cork and hey……….there’s your pre take poo – AND – the savings……….woooooooooooow!

Hope that this helps.

BusinessClass
    Participant

Thanks Binman62………..I don’t think I said that BA has the same hard product in J or F on all their fleet.
    On the majority of laughaul aircraft, F is available.
    BA like other major airlines, including CX, do not offer an F cabin on all their fleet.

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

Nevereconomy- while you might have previously enjoyed a vodka and tonic the response you got the last time you asked was in fact correct- strictly speaking the only alcohol that can be served pre-take off is that on which duty has already been paid i.e. champagne. Like you too though, sometimes I have asked for and was offered a spirit before take-off, but at times happily contend with the champers!

Hippocampus
    Participant

I don’t think anyone could deny that Food & Beverage standards onboard BA have slipped significantly in recent years.

However, Keith Williams has confirmed that improvements are imminent. Also, BA has recruited Frank Van Der Post as Director of Brands and Customer Experience from Jumeirah Hotels Group so more changes are on the way.

Ultimately, if you don’t think BA is delivering vote with your feet and go elsewhere. Though you might find the grass is not always greener. Familiarity can also breed contempt.

In BA’s defence, it’s not all cuts and doom and gloom:

– LCY now has an all Embraerer fleet
    – 14 of the 21 767s are being refurbished
    – The 777s without AVOD are to get the Thales IFE system
    – The 757s have been sold and older Airbus A320s are being retired
    – New 777s have been delivered with more to come, along with the A380 and 787 and a further joint order with IB.
    – Outstation lounges are being refurbished and ground handling improvements are expected at LHR.
    – On the subject of LHR, BA’s reputation for poor punctuality and baggage handling is in the past. T5C is opening later this year.

It’s not all doom and gloom. Keith Williams made a comment recently that BA has spent the last decade fixing legacy issues and with most of the legacy issues addressed BA can move on and be focused on growing and the market, rather than fighting internal issues.

Irons80
    Participant

My first post so please go easy. I have to say I am a Silver BA Exec and my last trips were in Club World and Club Europe and I have to say I think the service is fine. All the cabin crew I have dealt with have been very nice and accommodating to whatever request I have had. I think the attitude of some customers is where the problem lies, I am afraid. If you go in with a negative attitude, you will receive a negative experience back. My only frustrations are the lack of AVOD (which is being addressed) and yes I would say there should be not-from-concentrate, but you know what – I will survive… and actually my pre-flight and breakfast juice on my recent CW trip was NFC juice.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“In the age of cutbacks, what else do you guys really expect from a short flight ?”

The same level of service that I get on Air Malta.

stevescoots
    Participant

you pays for what you get or at least that is how it should be. its one reason I fly sleazy in europe. low expectation = low dissapointment. I have to say for 1-2 hour flights in Europe I have never seen any justifyable reason to take a business class flight often at 4x the price of sleazy, air berlin, german wings etc etc.

my last EU business class in BA was a long time ago so i cant comment on that but from what I read its still not as bad as most US based airlines!

regarding drinks,almost all airlines I fly only serve soft drinks or poo prior to takeoff.
    on my last BA flight to Ord they ran out of nuts half way down the CW cabin….according to the staff they only carry 75% of snaks required as they expect 25% to refuse them. I guess there was a lot of cashew fans on that flight that day then!

DClinPsy
    Participant

Its actually in your mind.

if you think negatively about an airlines/you have a bad mood during your traveling day, your experience will usually be an unpleasant one.

I took BA city flyer from LCY to AMS last november, for me, that flight was actually a nice and relaxing one, i enjoyed almost every aspect of it, but not for the person seating across me. She was complaining of how awful that particular BA service was, quoting “cheap coffee and croissant” as breakfast, unsmiling FAs, and so on.

i then assumed and asked if she is based in Asia and used to the service of the top Asian airlines, but she is not, she is Londoner who was about to visit her ex in Amsterdam to settle things.

My point being, if you just enjoy yourself and take the pessimism away, no matter what airline you fly with, you will most probably enjoy it.

So, Speedbird001, my advice to you, do fly with BA, because if you don’t you will probably expect something big from the airlines that you choose to fly with as your compensation towards your patriotism, and you might not enjoy that flight even if you are in a grand one.

Happy Traveling.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“My point being, if you just enjoy yourself and take the pessimism away, no matter what airline you fly with, you will most probably enjoy it.”

On the other hand, if BA cleaned their aircraft properly and provided the same level of service as Air Malta, everybody would be happy without the need for mental gymnastics.

As with Pavlov’s dogs, we are all conditioned by our expectations.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you raise a very good question DClinPsy. It is human nature that if you don’t want to be somewhere you will find the least to be happy about, as in your example.

How many travellers actually don’t like travelling but do it because they have to as part of the job. It is a bit like London rail commuters who complain about their journeys (the ones that don’t have to stand).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Erm…how much money has the Air Malta bailout cost…? €52 million last year. And it’s not out of the woods yet.

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/updated-air-malta-losses-to-hit-%E2%82%AC50-million

NTarrant
    Participant

Disgusted – I recall that you are a resident of Malta so in the end you have paid in your taxes to prop up Air Malta. Not exactly a level playing field when an airline or any other mode can get a free bail out from the government.

At least BA has received not a penny in government aid. Your disgusted, so am I that you can bang on about Air Malta when of course it can give a better service than BA it can loose millions to do so!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls