Anyone done US pre-clearance in Vancouver?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

1nfrequent
    Participant

I’m flying from Vancouver into LA in a few weeks and caught a reference on another thread to pre-clearance being available in a number of Canadian airports (including Vancouver).

Anyone here done it (either in Vancouver or another Canadian airport)? I’m assuming that I just follow appropriately sign-posted security lines but if I’m off base I’d appreciate the head’s up if the procedure’s different.

Having endured the horror of pre-sequester LAX immigration last year, I’m very keen to avoid the experience again.

1F

first_class_please
    Participant

Did it in Toronto a while back. Usual check in counters but then a USA destined flights immigration section, which is then the pre clearance. Had to take all baggage with me and then after the immigration have it x-rayed and then it’s accepted and whisked away on the belt.

A bit of a inconvenient set up, but, in comparison to arriving directly to USA as an international passenger is a breeze.

kweeki1
    Participant

Hello,
    yes, Vancouver airport provides US border control. You just follow signs “USA flights”, it’s easy to find. in LA the flight is consider as domestic arrival.

Have a nice flight

canucklad
    Participant

Hi 1infrequent…….

I’ve done it a few times, and I recall it being pretty straight forward……however that was a few years ago…..so I’ve included some links for you from YVR’s website….

what I would say, is try and make sure all your paperwork is in order including if you can do it beforehand your US declaration card….

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/customs-immigration/us-customs-border-protection.aspx

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/passenger-guides/departing-from-yvr.aspx

Hope they are of use….Happy travels and enjoy Vancouver…..

Hello 1nfrequent. The procedure is very straightforward. Queues can be long, but that’s another matter. I assume that you’ll be checking baggage. Whether you check in on-line, at a kiosk in the terminal, or at a check-in desk, once your bags are properly labelled you’ll make your way to the US Pre-Clearance hall (the entrance to which is easy to identify as there is usually a large US flag hanging from the ceiling). As noted above, it’s very helpful if you’re able to complete the document(s) before arriving at the airport (I always keep a handful in my desk). If you cannot do that, that’s fine. Just be sure to have a pen handy. As mentioned above, you’ll take all baggage (carry-on and checked) to the Pre-Clearance hall. They seem to have staffing issues much of the time, so best to arrive with plenty of time to spare. Remember: you must queue up twice. Once, for the US Pre-Clearance, and then again for security. It always amazes me how many Canadians (who know the procedure) think that arriving sixty minutes prior to departure is sufficient. It is not. But back to the staffing shortages. Here in Toronto during the morning rush (approximately 5am-8am), the Pre-Clearance area has become so congested that they’ve actually started sending passengers to a holding lounge where you’re to wait until your flight is called. Only then can you proceed to the Pre-Clearance area. If your flight is in the early morning then I suggest you allow at least two hours for the whole process (best to be safe than sorry). After you’ve had your turn at the Customs Officer’s desk, you’ll be able to place your checked bags on a conveyor belt and then proceed to security with only your carry-on. It’s well worth the extra step in Canada, as it’s wonderful to be able to deplane at your US destination and carry on as you please.

You might be travelling at a non-peak time of day, in which case you might not have to wait long. However, I recommend taking a paperback novel (or similar) for what could be a lengthy wait in the Pre-Clearance area. Cell phone use is generally not permitted there, although the rule is not always enforced. As long as you arrive early, with something to read and a good dose of patience, you should find the experience to be painless.

Best regards,

CT

1nfrequent
    Participant

Many thanks all. Sounds like I need to make sure to get there a couple of hours early. This is exactly why I like this place.

1F

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls