Anti Malarials in BKK

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Davethepubsinger
    Participant

@MARTIN SINCLAIR

Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. Just what I wanted to know.

agsteele
    Participant

Lariam is rather deprecated because of its potential to cause delusional dreams and depression in a few patients. You should start the treatment early enough to ensure you have an alternative prophylaxis if you are affected. Malarone and it’s generic equivalent is available over the counter in the UK but expensive. Doxycycline is cheap but requires a prescription in the UK. However, as others have said, you need to be sure which drug is appropriate in Vietnam.

The CDC and Nathnac websites give good advice.

Otte
    Participant

To my understanding you need to start taking the pills a day or two before you arrive to a risk area.The medication should already be in your body when you arrive,as if you get a bitten by a Malaria carrying mosquito on your first day,the medication then is not as useful.
    You also need to take it for a day or two after returning from the risk area.

In the DRC I took Malarone after a meal,and had no side effects.If you take them on an empty stomach,and you are not well hydrated ,you may suffer terrible side effects of nausea.

Highly recommended to visit a travel clinic before your trip if you are traveling with children,or just worries about it in general.Never wait till you get there.In the DRC you may buy expired pills imported from India.

Venetian Lady
    Participant

Having lived in East Africa for several years, I never took any antimalarial medication as the side effects were too high.
    As IanfromHKG mentioned precautions against malaria is very important and also very effective.
    As Swissdiver said it is a good idea to travel with a drug to treat malaria upon the first symptoms appearing.
    If caught in time it is easy to cure.

Antony
    Participant

If you are seeking advice about malaria in Bangkok for travel in SE Asia, I highly recommend the Thai Travel Clinic at the Faculty of Tropical Medicine at Mahidol University https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/. Mahidol University is a leader in the research of malaria and other tropical diseases in the region and you will get the most up to date and accurate advice on what medicines may be required for your travel. Original medicines are available through the hospital (except for malarone which is not sold in Thailand). There are a lot of fake antimalarials in Vietnam so do not recommend you purchase there.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls