Anti Malarials in BKK

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Davethepubsinger
    Participant

My wife and I are going to BKK & SGN in Febuary. Despite the low risk of malaria in both places we are intending to venture away from SGN. Can Mefloquine (Lariam) be obtained in BKK without prescription and where would be the best chemists to obtain it.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Beyond the fact you’d be much better off with Malarone, this kind of drugs requires normally a prescription. Now we know that some pharmacies in Thailand are “flexible”, not only in delivering drugs but also in sourcing them. I would definitively buy them before leaving home with a MD’s prescription.

TominScotland
    Participant

I travel extensively in Thailand and Vietnam, especially in the main cities. In my view, the really minimal risks of malaria are far outweighed by the unpleasant side effects of malarial tablets. In any case, malaria season in Vietnam (where you plan to leave a major city) is April/ May and September/ October. This map shows risk areas and, as a tourist, I would be surprised if you went to them.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=974300][/postquote]

I think, Tom, this is a very personal question that depends a lot of each individual health. Hence the recommendation to see an MD. That said, when I travel in the zone, I carry the Malarone with me, in case, but don’t take it systematically.

BPP
    Participant

I have been into Thailand very many times over the last 20 years (Nov – March) with no issues regarding malaria. My opinion also is that the sometimes unpleasant side effects of malaria prophylaxis are not warranted as the ‘risk’ is so low.
    Please do not buy anything like this other than in the UK and then only under medical direction. You may be taking other medication which could react adversely!

BPP

PaulHKG
    Participant

Indeed best to see an MD.
    I am working in a very high risk malaria area and the best one to take at the moment is Doxycycline (100mg/dag) which seems to have the least side effects and is especially suited for your trip. You may find that there is no need for Bangkok.
    A good way to prevent being bitten by anything that flies is to take a daily dose of Vitamin B.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Davethepubsinger

To answer your question, I went into 2 pharmacies for you this morning, near to my hotel in Sukhumvit.

The first inside Robinson’s department store, the pharmacist said she does not stock Mefloquine, but said if she did, you would not need a prescription. She sent me a larger pharmacy next door who stated I would need to go to a hospital Dr, to get a prescription.

Sorry for the confusing answer but have answered your question without trying to be a Dr 🙂

BPP
    Participant

Could I add that Malaria prophylaxis is specific to the area you may be going to and must be started before you leave. The ‘Centre for Desease Control’ has all the latest info.

BPP

capetonianm
    Participant

the really minimal risks of malaria are far outweighed by the unpleasant side effects of malarial tablets.

That is the advice we were given, and which we followed, by 3 medical practitioners before going to Zambia and Botswana earlier this year.
    We took precautions to minimise risk of being bitten and we were fine.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

If you are going off the beaten track in Vietnam I would ask your Doctor about Hepatitis jabs as well

BPP

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Slightly off the anti-malarial topic, but on my last visit to my travel clinic I was advised to have updated MMR jabs, it had been thought that Measles had been almost eradicated but it has returned, two injections were needed, which have to be at least a month apart. I had no side effects whatsoever. For malarone the Sister at the clinic recommended that I buy on line, easy enough and collect from a local pharmacy. A short visit to a travel health clinic is highly recommended.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’ve lived in SE Asia for almost 40 years and travelled extensively to the countries being discussed. I’ve never taken any kind of antimalarial medications.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Like Chris I live in Bangkok and travel expensively in the region without any prophylaxis. Capetonianm is also correct that side effects often outweigh benefits, though Doxycycline is less toxic than most (though can lead to photosensitivity). My plan is NOT to take prophylaxis, but in the event that I develop a fever I would tell the doctor straight away that I have been to an exotic area and both malaria and dengue might need to be ruled out.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

There is good advice available here, but the important thing to note is that every single one of these drugs requires you to start the course before exposure – so buying them after you arrive isn’t really the wisest course. The risk in BKK is quite low IMHO (I’m not medically qualified!) but if you are going there before SGN and provided you have enough time to take the “pre-exposure” drugs then I am fairly sure you could find the drugs there without too much difficulty, and getting a prescription wouldn’t be difficult. I can’t help thinking, though, that it would be better to get them before you leave – quite apart from the fact that it removes all doubt about availability and taking the necessary pre-exposure dose, it would hopefully also eliminate the chance of being given dodgy rip-off versions (and there are plenty of those in Asia).

You should look at other precautions too – bedding sprays, clothing sprays, as well as personal sprays; mosquito nets, and even the colour of your clothes.

Good luck!!

Swissdiver
    Participant

I tend to travel with the drugs I might need, especially where I am not sure to find exactly what I want. This includes Malarone if I don’t take is in a prophylactic treatment (you can take it an emergency dose if you feel the symptoms).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls