Another Tube Strike: Will Anyone Notice?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Last time there was a tube strike, I enjoyed a stress free journey around London and even managed to get a seat !

RMT have announced some strikes in May and June, following a vote of 60% of their members to support action.

Given previous experience and the availability of Boris’s superb bikes I doubt they’ll be any real impact, especially as the non-u nionised and remaining 40% of RMT members are still likely to turn up for work.

2101BST 16 May – 1159BST 17 May
    1200BST 18 May – 1159BST 19 May
    1200BST – 2100BST 20 May
    2102BST 13 June – 1159BST 14 June
    1200BST 15 June – 1159BST 16 June
    1200BST – 2100BST 17 June

Kaicat75
    Participant

So looking at the timings of the strikes and taking into account that all tubes will be in the wrong place. So will never run on the following mornings. They are as good as on strike for two whole weeks.

Boris bikes or not its still going to be hell.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Last time round many lines ran without incident.

I’m sure there will be some impact, but with so many people now able to work from home or take alternative means (bikes being really a game-changer from this perspective) strikes really don’t have the impact they once did.

You have to remember that there are many people working for TfL who aren’t in the RMT. They will continue to work.

The reports state only 60% of the RMT membership voted to strike; I haven’t explored the numbers in detail, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that 60% was actually the typical “of those who responded” rather than the total membership.

As ever this is likely to result in a minority of RMT members, who form and even smaller proportion of TfL workers, withdrawing their labour.

Kaicat75
    Participant

There will be a number of lines which will run, as they did last time. But unfortunately, if its similar to the last strike, they will only run in Zone 1 & 2 and not during the morning rush hour. So for a vast majority of people it will mean having to try and get overland and walking.

During the last strike they did have a number of stations open through out the day on the tube network. But again these were a little hit and miss (fingers crossed for good weather)

Also I believe this strike is not even over pay but over the sacking of two workers.

I wait to hear what they have done to get sacked, will the reasons beat the cause of some of the last strikes (driver 1 – sacked for opening the doors on the wrong side of the tube, not once but twice, and driver 2 sacked for being asleep while driving). Both of whom I believe were re-instated to stop previous strikes.

I seriously doubt they could find more than a handful of commuters who will support these strikes.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Both my trips were during rush hour last time round…

It seems to be about two Union reps being “victimised”…I think I’ve heard that complaint somewhere before..

There’s certainly little support for strike action…..even amongst RMT members. A 64% result from the 50% of RMT members who bothered to vote…that’s just 32% of RMT members; hardly enough to close the tube.

I don’t understand this Union habit of delivering mendacious statistics when writing Press Releases; most papers reported 64% support from RMT members, whereas the real level of support is half that.

It just exposes their slender grasp of numeracy, and even more slender grasp on democratic processes.

Hippocampus
    Participant

There should be more stations open than last time as the dispute does not involve the TSSA.

The two sackings are the subject of appeals to the Employment Tribunal and further industrial action is unjustified.

Such militancy is only inviting more stringent legislation to mitigate against this militancy.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Tube bosses and RMT talk after driver dismissal ruling

London Underground and the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union will now hold talks after a tribunal ruled the sacked driver was unfairly dismissed.

The RMT had called four days of strikes over Arwyn Thomas’s sacking for alleged unacceptable behaviour towards staff.

An employment tribunal found he was partly to blame but said options other than dismissal should have been explored to discipline the driver.

Both sides are now expected to discuss his possible reinstatement

Charles-P
    Participant

Bob Crow’s always itching for a strike. He’s like a throwback to the 1970’s.

The new modern thinking union leaders understand that the strike tactic is always a sign of weakness and failure. A union best represents its members when it works with management not against it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls