Another option for Cape Town

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

• bluemooner
    Participant

[quote quote=949842]The seasonal BA41 leaves Heathrow at 15.55 and gets into Durban at 05.30 the next day.

It’s operated by a 787 and goes during the Northern hemisphere winter.[/quote]

I think it’s a year round service, but I stand to be corrected.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If you want to avoid the mess of Johannesburg airport Durban is a good place to transit. The BA flight is year round and apart from Emirates is the only international flight so passport queues are minimal. From Durban there are excellent connections all over the country though flights to George can be on the expensive side. I know people who travel via JNB (domestic) as that can be half the cost of the direct flight. Mind you in European terms we’re looking at maybe just EUR 80 more and to avoid JNB I’d certainly consider that.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=817953]Curious why no European airline (other than Turkish via Joburg) wants to fly direct to Durban.[/quote]

BA does from LHR, but it’s not a daily service.

kershcliff
    Participant

[quote quote=950626]bluemooner wrote:
    Curious why no European airline (other than Turkish via Joburg) wants to fly direct to Durban.
    BA does from LHR, but it’s not a daily service.[/quote]

Tired Old Hack – I wrote that in 2017, before BA had the good sense to follow my advice !!!!!!

capetonianm
    Participant

As (VS) have double daily into JNB, it would make sense to extend one into CPT. A one-stop transit is obviously preferable to a change of aircraft, specially if pax can stay on board in JNB and clear entry/departure formalities in CPT.

https://www.traveller24.com/News/Flights/virgin-atlantic-to-add-cape-town-london-route-what-this-could-mean-for-cape-town-international-airport-20191003-2

openfly
    Participant

@capetonian….VS won’t go back to CPT until their masters, Delta, allow them to. VS has little say in the matter.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If the demand is there, i don’t see why Delta would not allow VS to fly the CPT route. cape town is a massive tourist destination, and if not on business then much more preferable to flying via JNB where you have to clear immigration and change planes with all the hassle that involves. Not to mention the December / January fares from JNB – CPT are astronomical in comparison to the rest of the year.

In fact CPT has now become a weekend destination, with people leaving late Friday and returning to London early Monday and straight to the office. So though it’s of no help to me personally, i can easily see VS returning sooner rather than later.

On a slightly sour note, Swiss First pax used to use the VS lounge at JNB, which in my opinion was the best of the lot. When VS started their second service to JNB, it meant the lounge was so crowded they cancelled the contract with Swiss and now we have to use the awful SAA First lounge (along with LH) and where I twice picked up a tummy bug from eating there!!!

openfly
    Participant

VS failed on the seasonal operation to CT, so Delta decided that there was better and more lucrative use of the a/c on Detroit.

capetonianm
    Participant

Air Portugal are starting service LIS-CPT from 11NOV. Daylight southbound arrival just before midnight, not ideal for a lot of people due to security situation, and leaving about 0230 northbound. 3 x weekly. I was told it was via LAD but looking at the timings I don’t think so.

Fares I checked at random from about CHF 750 Y and 2100 C from ZRH.

At one time their business class (Navigator I think) was very good. Quite an interesting option as we have friends in Portugal which would break up the journey.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=995851]Air Portugal are starting service LIS-CPT from 11NOV. Daylight southbound arrival just before midnight, not ideal for a lot of people due to security situation, and leaving about 0230 northbound. 3 x weekly. I was told it was via LAD but looking at the timings I don’t think so.[/quote]

I’d definitely try this option as I love day flights, so thanks for posting this. Being *A I’d imagine it’s then possible to return with LH/LX as I’d prefer them when a night flight is involved.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=995851]Air Portugal are starting service LIS-CPT from 11NOV. Daylight southbound arrival just before midnight, not ideal for a lot of people due to security situation, and leaving about 0230 northbound. 3 x weekly. I was told it was via LAD but looking at the timings I don’t think so.[/quote]

Just looked up the flight and fares ex MXP which are a bit cheaper but more convenient for me. However the return is at 2.05 am so this would be a no no for me.
    What is also interesting is that for roughly CHF 100 more, you can take an extra piece of baggage, 3 instead of 2, the fare is refundable and changes can be made free of charge. In addition if you wish you can add a stopover, up to 5 nights, in Lisbon or Porto at no extra cost to the fare.

I also recall they have a very nice business class and the crew were always very friendly and helpful.

All rather attractive I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls