Another option for Cape Town

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Glad you enjoyed Edelweiss Capetonian, it is a superb product. It’s mainly flown by Swiss Germans, and it always amazes me how they are all seated by the indicated boarding time. A few times i thought I was the only pax until I boarded, then they all look at you as if you’re an alien from outer space!

As for the taxi drivers in CT, couldn’t agree more. They are terrible and inconsiderate and if I get one behind me on a normal road I’ll slow down to about 45kph and watch them fume with impatience in my mirror as they can’t overtake. How I love it! 😉

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Today Austrian Airlines has announced a major route expansion.

In the case of Cape Town the new service is definite. It will start October 27.

There will be twice weekly flights departing Vienna on Tuesday and Saturday and returning from Cape Town on Wednesday and Sunday.

It’s a daytime flight Vienna-Cape Town (1115-2240 hrs) returning from Cape Town just after midnight (0020-1050 hrs).

As might be expected from a sixth-freedom airline the timings at Vienna are geared to the needs of travellers making connections.

capetonianm
    Participant

Thank you. That’s wonderful news because it means we can do daylight southbound VIE CPT and daylight northbound CPT ZRH on Edelweiss.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That is great, and as both are part of Lufthansa it should be possible to go down with Austrian and back with Edelweiss on one booking. Like you Capetonian, I prefer day flights.

I hope they use the 777 on this route as I believe the Business Class is very good.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Yes Austrian will roster a B777-200. Flights in both directions will operate non-stop.

capetonianm
    Participant

I did Austrian business class a few times on the Johannesburg route, if I remember correctly it was an A340 and it was indeed excellent.

Repeating the experience but going into Cape Town would be an absolute joy.

openfly
    Participant

It’s a verrrry early start out of LHR. Also,the Business fares are so high that I won’t be tempted, sadly.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Openfly – That’s a good point.

Not such a problem for readers who will connecting from points in mainland Europe and if they don’t want such an early start from LHR you can always overnight at VIE.

Austrian has had that very early from LHR for many years. It connects with its extensive range of onward flights to the former E Europe which depart around late morning.

One advantage for VIE-JNB is that it (the early LHR departure) allows ample connecting time.

openfly
    Participant

Hi Alex,….to factor in a VIE night-stop at €200 doesn’t make sense, on an already high fare. Count me out! 😀
    It makes great sense, though, to book several of the unbelievably cheap AMS-CPT Club fares on BA….and tolerate everything that’s rubbish in the airline industry!!

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Horses for courses I suppose, openfly.

I tend angle what I write to readers / Forum contributors all over Europe.

So I agree that departing LHR isn’t a good example (unless you really want to sample that daylight flight) but of course the departure times will be that much later from points in mainland Europe.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just checked some fares ex MXP mid November returning mid January and I agree with Openfly about the high prices. Between EUR 2,000 and 3,000 going down with a 95 minute connection in VIE, and about EUR 1,100 for the return but with a 9 hour wait in VIE! They also show alternatives with Edelweiss and Lufthansa but these are equally expensive and I think more expensive than booking on LH’s site direct.

I wish them well but for the moment, not for me, which is a shame as I was looking forward to a return day flight.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am about to book for a future trip and will do some research and post results here if of interest. My ‘resistance point’ for a business class fare is about £2000 return, and for my last three or four trips on Swiss/Edelweiss I have been able to achieve that.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I used Austrian down to CPT earlier this year, it was most impressive and gave us the benefit of a full day in that lovely city, enjoying an early dinner and a concert in the breathtakingly beautiful Karlskirche before heading back to the airport for an overnight in the well situated NH hotel which is three minutes’ walk from the terminal.

According to this article, Norwegian may start service LGW-CPT. https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-virgin-cape-town/

It also mentions VS but they have denied it. As they have double daily into JNB, it would make sense to extend one into CPT. A one-stop transit is obviously preferable to a change of aircraft, specially if pax can stay on board in JNB and clear entry/departure formalities in CPT.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Virgin used to serve CPT (as did SAA, but that’s another story) and for a reason unknown to me stopped serving the route. KLM, AF, LH to name 3 serve CPT year round with very good passenger numbers, as do the ME3, so the business is definitely there. CPT is both a business and tourist destination, and much busier in the Southern summer months but still a year round destination, so I’m sure Norwegian would fill their planes if they did start flying the route.

AdamMarley
    Participant

The seasonal BA41 leaves Heathrow at 15.55 and gets into Durban at 05.30 the next day.

It’s operated by a 787 and goes during the Northern hemisphere winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls