Another battle at Manchester T3 security

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

Why do I have to have all my personal clothes and effects strewn across the counter for all the world to see? They seem to get some perverted pleasure from displaying my dirty knickers to the world (or themsleves). Why do they not have dividers to get a little privacy.

I will be asking for a private search every time now. It takes 2 people off the security, but who cares.

And when you complain about the personal embaressment to a ”supervisor” they dont let you speak. They hear you speaking for 20 seconds and then say ”when you have finished……”…so rude, but that is obviously what they have been taught to say.

It costs me £7 as part of my ticket to pass through security at MAN and I want a better and less humiliating experience.

conair346
    Participant

I used to work at Manchester Airport. While some of the staff in security are a bit ‘mardy’, they are by far some of the more friendly I have come across throughout the world.
    Even as a passenger before I worked @MAN, the staff seemed efficient and even helped elderly passengers or families travelling with young kids. They are employed directly by MAG so if you feel so abused then maybe write to Andrew Harrison, MD.

Or maybe it was your demeanour when passing through central search? Only having had Silver DC and flybe R4A, I cant admit to having the swagger of a Gold/Platinum FF, even if I have abused a card in the family that has the same initials on it.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Conair346

I have read enough negative comments on this forum about UK airports and their surly or churlish security staff members and I have personal gone through LHR/LGW/STN on a regular basis and found this mostly true. Exceptions are far and few in between.

Since you have worked in Manchester airport and seem to have an insight of the situation with the security check points AND judging the way you described airports all around the world, I expect you to be familair with these airports in the Asian region.

Why is that each time I pass through HKG/SIN/BKK/NRT, I get the distinct impression that these security personal are extremely helpful, often quite friendly and it appears that these security officers’ main goal is to get the passengers through as effeciently and as smoothly without giving them a hard time.

Could it be the staff are overworked, UNDER paid (?) Or is it the passengers themseves are at fault?

Europe and the US airports are only marginally better than the UK but still not good enough.

Your insider’s remark would be most welcome to us, as the international travellers would get a better understand of why most of the check points have became thay way!.

I have always feel relaxed passing through in most Asian airport security check pionts and the whole airport experience is pleasant.

VintageKrug
    Participant

As an occasional user of Manchester airport over the past few years, I can say my experience couldn’t be more different from that of openfly.

The priority lane was chav-free, I queued for less than 30 seconds, the trays are larger than normal, reducing the need to use two or even three trays, which keeps everything moving more swiftly, and the staff could not have been more helpful, with a pleasant and friendly – yet professional – demeanour, to the extent that I commented how good the service was last time I passed through.

A marked change on the BAA run Heathrow experience.

Gatwick security has improved markedly over the previous few months, as its new owners address some of the customer-facing issues BAA had not time or inclination to deal with.

NTarrant
    Participant

I have to agree with VK, my experience on Saturday morning through MAN was pleasant, polite and friendly staff. I used to be a regular traveller to MAN and there was a stage when the staff at security were medioca.

If you feel aggreved openfly complain.

conair346
    Participant

I worked for two companies in different terminals @MAN but I have frequented all checkpoints, pax, service & staff in all terminals. Security on staff & service channels are generally more friendly as they know we’re not ‘special’ like half the pax.

At pax security the staff tend to be a bit more irate at times because of the FF who thinks that they deserve special treatment; because of the not so frequent flyer who keeps a litre of water in the hand luggage and doesn’t read the warnings on approach to the checkpoints.
    The staff are there to ultimately keep the airport safe and like all of us – they tire of people being plain stupid repeatedly. I know when I used to go through T1 or T3 pax security the calibre of the charter/lcc pax really opened my eyes. They had no idea how to go through security. Though saying that I will admit I have left my ipod in my back pocket a few times!

Places like BHD have outsourced staff who, IIRC some have been TUPE’d over 3 companies. So they tend to be more surly to everyone. At least at MAN they’re employed directly and have foreseeable job security.

If you felt so aggrieved, you should have taken their names – they do after all have to wear their passes in a visual place. Manchester Airport has a twitter and facebook presence, if you cant find an address for Andy Harrison, though his postcode is likely to be M90 1QX

Charles-P
    Participant

In my experience at Manchester it’s always my wife who gets stopped for the bag open routine while I never do. When this happens I just stand with her but last time I was told I had to “step away for security reasons”. I asked (politely) how far and why and was told if I questioned them again I would be banned from the airport and the police called. So I took three steps back, he said “further” I took another step, he said “further still” I took another. We then had the ludicrous situation whereby he was checking my wife’s bag while all the time looking up to ensure I had not stepped any closer. My wife’s attempt to stifle a laugh did not help his pompous manner. Other passengers were laughing openly.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess you were unlucky, though funnily it’s always my wife who gets stopped at security and searched, very rarely me. Monday, my case went through, no prob, with my iPad inside. Next my wife. She had to remove iPad, everything searched, put back through screening then off we could go. Though I have never been told to stand back while this happens!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls