An unusually personal post!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

• BlackTower
    Participant

I agree with VK this would make for a good feature.

I used to run a plc (ex UK) and travelled 70% of my time. Too much travel and constant arguments with my chairman sent me over the edge to burn out/depression and being ousted. Shareholders did well mind.

I may post again on some warning signs to look for in yourself. Meantime look after yourselves.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

My sympathies Martyn – we have all been there. Being old school, I take a stack of favourite DVDs with me (yes, I know I could rip them onto my laptop, BUT my DVD player will run for 10 hours without charging and is small enough to fit on the plane tray with my meal, or on the edge of a bath).

Perhaps our friends at BT would set up a meet-and-greet section on the site where we could post our travel plans and arrange get-togethers? I really like the idea of meeting some of you guys (and gals) in the flesh!

iflytoomuch
    Participant

Hongkong Ian — I think that is a great idea of the ‘get togethers’ .. would welcome meeting few people here in BKK …
    What do others think ???

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I too like the idea a meet-up section where we can post where we are and hopefully meet up with fellow BT forum posters.

Miles and More have an App for the iPad that does just this (and more) called “Member Scout”. I’ve used the taxi share part a few times but never had any success!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What a difference a week makes!

I am now back in the UK after a very successful trip to Asia, albeit with a slight sting in the tail with my mid trip blues. My flight home was one of the best BA flights over the past few months, BA 10 BKK-LHR. The service was faultless, cabin crew worked as a team and there was a general air of “thank G-d it’s all over; let’s get on with our jobs”. Just for the record, I was in my usual 60J – 60B had a dead heading stewardess, who made sure everyone knew she was crew.

Interesting, the outbound flight 2 weeks prior, 60B remained empty for the entire flight.

With regards to the subject of this thread, once again, to every one who posted replies and emailed me, thank you.

In summary, the advice/suggestions covered:

*Skype and video conferencing

* book reading

*hotel bar

*take a bath

*digital media

*change hotels/join local clubs

*a trance course

*take the first flight home

*create local,social networks

*yoga, tai chi, meditation

*create a weekend programme with hotel concierge

*Chabad/or other religious activities

*Thai cookery

*Thai boxing

*running/walking the local area

To:

TominScotland

Home@FL350

HongKongIan

Iflytoomuch

LuganoPirate

I will certainly let you know when I am next in the Far East, it would be great to meet up.

My late father always said that “there is never a bad reason to meet someone new”

…I think a section or an area for interested forum members to post their itineraries is a fabulous idea. However, for this to work, I think there would need to be a more secure section and I guess that this is a cost BT would quite rightly moan about covering. However, on a creative note, I would have no problem in paying towards this cost in the form of an annual membership or similar.

Making as many trips as I do to Asia, for the purpose of financial gain, I pondered long and hard about a way forward. For a long time now, I have been aware that my trips to Asia always kept me within a mile or so radius of the hotel where I stay, not just in BKK. I never get to see much, if any of the “real Asia”.

With the help of one of the hotel managers, prior to my flight home, I decided to join a Thai boxing school, not only to keep fit, but to have the opportunity to actually get outside of BKK for at least 1 day a week. There are not many westerners at the school and English is hardly spoken, but it is something new for me and as I near my 50th birthday, it has given me a new interest and an opportunity to immerse myself in local culture with local people, who apparently relish the opportunity to beat the cr*p out of a westerner! I will let you all know how it goes.

If there are any views or ideas about a way to publish itineraries or if there are enough of us that are willing to cover the cost, please post your ideas and perhaps BT could eventually be persuaded to assist further, especially if the costs were to be covered in part or in full.

Once again, thank you all, the forum provided an emergency response to one traveller in need last week.

Safe and HAPPY travelling……

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

glad you’re back safe and sound.

I note you’re approaching the magic 50…. I turned 50 last year and it really is a turning point.

Of course you must realise that we won’t be too far away from OAP status!!!

Pat

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Martyn,

fine that you feel better. Your mood in the beginning reminds me very much of my situation some years ago.

From my personal experience the eternal travel, mixed with either the “Master of the Universe” feeling or the selfcritical “Will it all work out?” , takes a toll on you.
    Although having real success over the whole time, flying First all the time, having a great team it just is too much sometimes: When you wake up and have to mindcheck in which city you are, when every other weekend is spent abroad, when you make an RTW trip plus work in 8 days, when you hardly ever see your family, alienate from your friends…something will go wrong, finally. (With me, it was health)
    Apart from making some dough, collecting 3+ mio miles on my preferred carrier alone, what comes out of it?
    This whole thing is an addiction, to work, to travel, to “recognition”, to the “success high” of another done deal. I would start again immediately, if I could. Now. Today.

But: “The last shirt doesn’t have any pockets”, you cant take it with you.

So, its important to find a balance between the two lives.

iflytoomuch
    Participant

Martyn ,

Pleased yr home safe and sound … Interesting you joining a Muay Thai club … that must be quite an experience .. happy to catch up when yr next in my neck of the woods … not quite sure how to contact people on this forum as loath to leave email addresses ( due to spammers) and unsure if we can PM each other — welcome some tips on how to contact each other ..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PJordan, In Malaysia, not sure about Thailand, OAP status is granted for entrance to museums, attractions etc, at 55!!!

PatJordan
    Participant

Thanks, LuganoPirate…..

Not that long to go before I get all the OAP freebies then !!

acchaladka
    Participant

Suggestion re sharing itineraries: I use a website called tripit.com, perhaps others here use it? It organises itineraries based on forwarded emails, and I find it very convenient to use it to self-organise and print a copy before departure. There is a feature to share itineraries with trusted friends, and If others use it I guess a bunch of us could informally share…? It’s not the most secure / private option would be my main caution. Perhaps there’s somethign that Blackberry runs…?

Martyn you missed my suggestion to take time off! 🙂

MillionsOfMiles, you’re bang on and I strongly second your posting,- can’t help noticing how many of the posters here complain about the life (including me), but in reality…it’s addictive. Not all can say no to a boss of course, but it’s also addictive.

iflytoomuch
    Participant

Just wondering if Skype was a good medium to use for people on this forum to keep in touch? Pretty easy to block those who you don’t want as contacts and reasonably secure I think…. I’d be happy to share my Skype name with those who wanted to catch up when travelling to Thailand ..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am more than happy to publish my personal email address on this forum:

martynsinclair @ hotmail.com – DELETE THE SPACE EITHER SIDE OF THE @

the mails are kept on the hotmail servers and they do a pretty good job of keeping spammers away. I know some of you have raised suprise in the past about me being so open about my email address, but I have no issues.

I would not be as free with my telephone number, although someone in the past did post this, but it was soon removed.

I like the idea of the Bangkok BT Group!

stevescoots
    Participant

I can be found under skype addy stevescoots

travelgirl
    Participant

Excellent post and so true.
    This issue is an even worse for women travelling on their own (not complaining as I took the job!). Its just not practical to go wandering around at night to different bars and even a hotel bar can be a uncomfortable place if you are not looking for a ‘pick-up’. Certain cities are fine – Syd, Nyc, Hkg etc are great but I wouldn’t go wandering in Bkk – the hassle just isnt worth it. Even dining with a client can be difficult if not in a group. Weekends can be spent sightseeing and shopping but evenings are a nightmare. A woman cannot start a conversation with someone in a hotel bar or lounge without sending the wrong signal. Sad but true. Agree though with all the suggestions from the other posters. Anyone thinking bout an app for likeminded people to hook up without the usual risks or making it look like a dating site?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls