An unusually personal post!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn,

A courageous post indeed. I sympathise having spent 2 nights in Bognor Regis this week on business. Not sure whether it was family or civilisation I was missing.

Chin up, buddy – we all feel like that at times. Hope you feel better now.

VK – not sure I agree about Lynda for PM. If I could nominate any characters (dead or alive) for various Government posts it would be:

Prime Minister – Peggy Archer/Wooley (well she’s so perfect) or Julia Pargetter (tyhe Iron Lady of Lower Loxley)

Chancellor of the Exchequer – Nelson Gabriel

Minister for Justice – Eddie Grundy

Secretary of State for Culture – Lillian Bellamy

Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs – Joe Grundy

Minister for Tolerance – Mike Tucker

Secretary of State for Family Affairs – Brian Aldridge

Secretary of State for Transport – Mark Hebden

Attorney General – Usha Gupta

Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills – Robert Snell

Minister for Old Pals and Old Beauties – Walter Gabriel

Regards and safe travelling.

Simon

robsmith100
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

Hope you had a better weekend?

I remember some things my father used to do if he was going to be travelling for an extended period of time. First he would try and schedule trips during school holiday periods that way depending on where he would go he would combine the time in to a family holiday we would fly out half way into his trip and spend a week him. That way we could still have breakfast meet him for lunch and then of course we have the evenings together. Even better on weekends because we could actually do activities and trips together. If this was unfeasible to get us out to him he would make sure his firm flew him back back for a weekend every two weeks or so regardless of where he was even if it was just for a day. There was very rarely an occasion where this was an issue as he made sure the company was aware of his personal responsibilities at home and their policy of corporate social responsibility.

This morning, while getting a coffee at work I was ear wigging the girl in the queue about here recent travels out that way with her partner and their extra curricular activities. Have you thought about doing a Thai cookery course or perhaps a Thai kick boxing class? Both are apparently highly attended by British nationals either expat or holiday makers.

Hope these help…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Robsmitch100 as a point.

The main thing is to be creative with one’s free time, that is without a bold suggestion of finding some local contact for other distraction!!!!

Happy hours for all!

snowbaked
    Participant

Hi Martyn,
    I hope you had a better weekend and hopefully it also means closer to coming home.
    I travel regularly for work, but mostly short haul now with my current job during the week. I try the following things which really help me, and maybe by sharing them will help others:
    – use skype/facetime where possible
    – I keep a photo diary of my trips or element of my trips to share with my wife and show my daughter at the weekend (or after a long trip)
    – i brought an ipad which has lots of photos/blogs/books to read

There are two big things that helped me:
    I decided to take up running, as it was a way that I could explore new places and try and fight the constant hotel and restaurant food. I try to run most days or go to the hotel gym, and found it a great way to also search for new restaurants without doing the lonely walk around. I decided to register for the london marathon last year, and this helped me focus on having to go running/exercise. I finished in 4 hours 7 seconds, and raised 2.5k for Cancer Research
    The second thing was I got an opportunity to speak (for about a minute) with the CEO of the business unit I work for and I asked him how he deals with all the travel and being away from home. He says that he trys to focus on work when away, and so that when he is at home his mind can be free to focus on home, family, friends etc. That has helped me alot, so when I’m in a hotel missing my daughter or wife, I try and focus on a work problem or item and vice versa when at home when I’m stressing about work.

PerthWA
    Participant

Dear Martyn

Definite sympathies and I am interested to see that all of the responses you’ve had are from other men…. having spent 233 nights in strange and some not so strange hotels last year I can only tell you the feelings of desperate loneliness are much much much worse as a single female.

There is absolutely nothing worse than being on your own at night in a strange city and often even the hotel bar is out of bounds. Dinner? I’m so sick of room service I could cry.

Anyway just wanted to let you know your not alone – even if I am only a miserable economy traveller.

DS

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

DS: There are restaurants in some major cities where single female business travellers can go to and dine and have fun with other female dinners. No need ordering meals from room service.

The whole point of this thread is to be adventurous and creative in order to beat the travel blue! I personally make a fiesta out of my work travel (work + play)

If can bear it GIVE UP BUSINESS TRAVELS. We do have a personal choice!

Happier times to all!

ivornomates
    Participant

what a bunch of whimps, been doing this for the last 25 yrs – get a life you lot

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Proliteboss: Bold statement but you are so dead right!!!!

There is a jungle out there and only the fittest survives.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Was wondering how long we’d have to wait before having such a statement (proliteboss’)… Actually I am pleased to see it came rather late.

Being capable of introspection (since this is what we are talking about) is bringing a better life! No one is truly always happy at ll time. No one…

Thanks all for sharing and making the others (including me) realising they are not the only ones…

snowbaked
    Participant

proliteboss – maybe you are the one that needs to get a life, as you have no life to miss while travelling.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

All GREAT men (person) have their weaknesses and that makes us into a better human being and it give us the strength.

It is very true that we can’t be happy at all times but one must not be feeling sorry for oneself either.

This is a great forum as many of the posters are brave enough to reconize their imperfections!

iflytoomuch
    Participant

Martyn , only just seen this … sorry … you were in my city … very happy to catch up next time yr here and have a quiet drink / meal somewhere… I’m pretty Thai these days … so will be low key and local if that is of interest ,,, much better than the venues you mentioned…

acchaladka
    Participant

Martyn,

Thanks for starting a great topic, it’s something that touches us all here if we have any feelings at-all. And hi from Tokyo on a thursday night.

I burned out a bit particularly with lots of India time last year and a half. I’m taking four unpaid months off starting tomorrow night – lord knows we all have more points than we know what to do with and my friends may have forgot what we look like. I’m looking forward to some fitness and selfish time. Most of my colleagues are envious, and now I have to consider that I HAVE NO LIFE, that is, only work so far.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have the get-off-the-carousel option but then, not everyone is lucky enough to travel as much as us and see the world business class, eh?

I love the idea of a hotel that organizes singles supper nights, and of joining a club with interchange priveleges. I’ve also found rugby clubs to be a good social network but then, you have to hang out with ruggers all the time. 🙂

Ted
    (YUL based)

PS. An engrossing book, good tea, and the night can be got through. Sorry if that’s generic. Being a foodie, I like the hunt at times, and can also second the idea of a gym habit if your sleep schedule permits.

LGPPRES
    Participant

I am on the road 6-8 months -Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East- my 38 th year
    Never bored ( certainly miss my patient wife of 35 years) and my grown children. Yes I did have time to produce children
    i have a file of items to follow up and research, I look up local music clubs or even theatre in a foreign languages and have had incredible experiences
    I have rented bikes and found a local bike club who referred me to a member who took me out for a day-ended up on a 3 day weekend trip down the Mekong and rowed over into Laos
    i have visited museums in 70 countries-last weekend in Auckland
    The world is beautiful and I am not stopping
    stay positive and keep moving

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Having often been banished to some Godforsaken places, I have found that doing those self-improvement things that we never have time to do at home can help pass the time.

I have various language courses on my iPhone and Rosetta Stone installed on my MacBook. I don’t recommend Rosetta Stone for people with no knowledge of a language, but it’s great for brushing up and extending speaking and listening skills.

I’m also doing a part-time post-graduate course, so studying for that is also something I do (or intend to do, shall we say).

However, I have noticed that any alcohol intake sends all my good intentions flying out of the window, and I end up in the bar. But then I usually have a good night. And that’s not really the topic of this thread, is it?

Warmest wishes to all. Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls