Amtrak or Amtrac

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

Between Xmas and New Year I have to travel from New York to Providence Rhode Island by train. I seem to have a choice, North East Regional or Acela Express, both operated by Amtrac. Acela Express seems to be 100% more expensive but only about 10% quicker, so it begs the question is it worth the money? Any views greatly appreciated.

Just to add, am travelling Norwegian Premium to NY (on Xmas day) and back from Boston. Happy to let you know what it’s like if anyone interested.

icenspice
    Participant

I am interested MrMichael! Afraid I can’t help with your train dilemma but Norwegian Premium is on my bucket list.

MrMichael
    Participant

In that case Icenspice I shall be sure to do a full review (PatJordan style if I am up to it)for both legs.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Mr Michael, I am always interested in train travel within the States, so I too will keep you busy requesting a review on that part of your journey. However, I can not provide any advise as to which train company you should opt for 🙂

MrMichael
    Participant

@MartynSinclair, it will be my pleasure to do a full review for you.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’ve travelled on the North East Regional service a few times between Philadelphia and NY.

I picked this service over the Acela as it was, as you say, substantially less expensive. I found the service completely fine:
    Wide seat
    Good legroom
    Cafe car
    WiFi
    Plenty of overhead rack space where my suitcase would fit

I paid for a business class seat on one occssion, again all fine, though not sure it is really worth it as the coach seats were completely acceptable. Main benefit was the business carriage was only about 50% full at the most.

One thing to note about Amtrak, which you may well know, is they have to give way to freight trains, so punctuality can be a bit sketchy.

Acela trains are more modern, possibly a quieter ride, but I’ve always been happy with the ‘standard’ service. Hope this helps a bit. (Penn St station is very average, nothing like the grandeur of Grand Central).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael

You would be paying for prestige/extra comfort on the Acela Express v the North Eastern Regional Services, a bit like Emirates v BA, plus you only stop twice, instead of ~10 times (that’s the reason for the extra journey length.)

It all depends whether you feel like spending the extra 100%.

Agree with AlanOrton1 about Penn Station, horrible place.

It would be a long journey on an Amtrac

http://www.squadron.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SS52049-2.jpg

rjhcambs
    Participant

I cannot remember whether you can book actual seat reservations on the Express. You cannot on the Regional trains and most of these if not all come into NYC from Washington so being holiday time you may have problem getting a good seat. It has already been mentioned that Penn station is a dump so be prepared for a Ryanair type rush down a narrow escalator when the platform number is advised. Sorry for being a bit negative because once on the train I have always enjoyed my rail trips between NYC and Boston. One last tip, if interested in the view, sit on the coast (RHS) side going north.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

You couldn’t reserve seats 3 years ago, don’t know about today.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

From memory when you book a seat is guaranteed. I don’t think a seat is assigned. It is more a case that they claim they only sell up to the number of tickets that a train has seats, so in effect everyone should have a seat.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AlanOrton, I agree.

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks for the infor everyone. Rather disappointing that a seat reservation is not actually…..a seat reservation. As it is me, MrsM and the two girls I would have rather hoped to be sitting together. It seems whichever type of train we choose that is going to be unlikely, unless we put our rugby shirts on!

Cheeryguy
    Participant

http://www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm#.V-fJnNxHmhA
    I have found this site very helpful in the past.

NTarrant
    Participant

Travelled on the Northeast Regional on Saturday NYC to Washington, D.C. Ticket says reserved, but no seats are reserved. This has changed since I last travelled, albeit 10 years plus ago.

I’m writing this on an Acela Express, not that We booked it just was directed to it when waiting for the Northeast regional. I’m glad I didn’t pay the eye watering prices for business class as it is just not worth the money. I’ve attached a couple of photos, sorry they are too big! The seats are not as comfortable as the regional.

Departed seven minutes earlier and should arrive 45 minutes earlier, but still not worth the extra money. Glad I have experienced it for free!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls