Amsterdam Schiphol considers 'drop-off' fees

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Already introduced at many UK airports it appears ‘drop-off” fees are now being considered by Amsterdam’s award-winning Schiphol airport according to dutchnews.nl (quoting the Telegraaf).

Schiphol airport considers fees for dropping off passengers

Over the past few years we have covered the introduction of these fees at the UK airports where they have been introduced.

Reader feedback has been overwhelmingly negative.

capetonianm
    Participant

As a frequent user of Schiphol, I would like to point out a major difference between Schiphol and most UK airports. It’s called good public transport. Not just that, but the entire transport system in NL is ‘joined up’, which is the last thing anyone could claim about the UK’s.

As you walk out of the terminal building onto the Plaza there is a bus station, with a choice of I’d guess about 30 routes, offering frequent and reliable services, local, shuttle, and long distance. Inside the terminal building, down a single flight of escalators is a railway station with about 8 platforms from where you can take fast, frequent, clean, and reliable trains to almost anywhere in the Netherlands, in some cases requiring an easy change.

Compare that to the public transport options for most airports in the UK and maybe you can see why it is not necessary to use a car, and why charging for private vehicular access is favoured at AMS. I think in all the times I’ve travelled to and from Schiphol, I have been picked up once by car – I had a broken ankle and a heavy suitcase. I would have been quite happy to pay an access charge for that privilege.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

100 % capetonianm …….
    If you live in the low countries, there really is no need to travel by a polluting private car.

I’ll add, that another aspect of this, is that (I’ll bet my house on this) the transport companies, whether it be buses or train aren’t ripping off passengers by adding a scurrilous airport supplement charge !!

finger pointed directly at you —Edinburgh Trams : (

Charles-P
    Participant

Don’t think the rail companies don’t get in on these extra charges. For travel to and from Brussels Zaventem by train there is the infamous ‘Diablo Fee’ an extra € 5.30 added to the ticket cost to pay for “improvements”.

Generally viewed in Belgium as an utter rip off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls