Amex Rewards Points to Avios

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

olliewb
    Participant

Is anyone aware of any promotional offers on at the moment when converting Amex Reward points to Avios, where the rate is better than 1:1?

Many thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

I did convert some before end February, and had a 25% uplift (for Virgin Flying Club and BA)

I received a 25% uplift instantly from Virgin, took about a week for the extra points to credit my BAEC.

Triple MRs for travel spend was active during January, and in September there was a x5 offer.

There was also some promotion where you received thousands for booking a dodgy £7 hotel in Thailand – you’re welcome to the room if you want it……

I’ve seen bonuses as high as 50%.

Currently have an opt-in emailed offer on my Amex Centurion for a bonus 5,000 points if I spend £2,500 (equivalent to 3 MRs per £1 spent).

But nothing “live” right now for bonus transfers of which I am aware.

olliewb
    Participant

Thanks VK
    I remember getting the 50% deal some years ago.

Freqtraveller
    Participant

I have been an elite customer of Amex accumulating lots and lots of Avios points due to my high spend. Just BEWARE! They closed my account without giving any reason, and moreoever, they have suspended any further usage of my cards!

Used to think highly of them, but they don’t impress me any longer.. seems rather they think of their own selves and their benefits rather than bilateral agreements between 2 parties

tangey1
    Participant

I find it hard to believe that they just picked an account totally at random, and cancelled it.

They must have had a reason, it would however be at the very least mannerly to tell you what the reason was.

Doesn’t the bilateral agreement just say that either side can close the account giving 30 days notice or whatever.

Also, what happened to your accrued MR points, did you lose them ?

http://www.goingonrewards.com

VintageKrug
    Participant

Amex is notorious for such unilateral behaviour.

I would never rely on them as my only card – and who can, given how poor the acceptance rate is in the UK.

I always shift my points out of Membership Rewards as soon as practical, taking advantage of bonus promotions to boost the haul.

Freqtraveller
    Participant

billybab99,

I tried ringin the excutive public relations, Ms Ruth Shaw but she refused to tell me any reason why they cancelled my card. Yes, they gave me 30 days notice, but then only 10 days later, I received another letter from her saying that ‘due to commercial decision, we are suspending the usage of your card’… and that’s it!

I agree with VintageKrug about transfering points out of Amex as soon as he can.

Well, the beauty is: there are other cards that gives rewards too…

VintageKrug
    Participant

Much as we may be justifiably displeased with Amex, it’s generally considered bad form to “name” employees of such companies on the interweb; they are just doing their job, after all.

It’s easy to edit your post to remove the person in question.

I’ve never had any trouble with Amex myself (I have five of their card products for various purposes), but it’s always best not to rely on them as your only provider due to the people who have referenced unilateral cancellations, which by all accounts do not seem to be justified, and are very rarely fully explained to those on the receiving end.

These instances are, however, few and far between.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

yesterday Amex BA conversion had a 35% bonus ie 1000Amex=1350Avios

MartynSinclair
    Participant

interested to see th elink Peter. My Amex page says it still 1 to 1.

I would take a 35% uplift…

PeterCoultas
    Participant

was on USA site (my card is us based) membership rewards, use points, flights…still showing the 35%

tangey1
    Participant

Thats a pretty decent bonus, would definitely be tempted if it was on the UK MR scheme

http://www.goingonrewards.com

MartynSinclair
    Participant

worth changing to a US account, temporarily, if allowed…

VintageKrug
    Participant

Not really, as better offers are frequently seen on the UK site.

The trick is not to convert anything unless there’s an offer on.

My 5k bonus MRs posted last week, immediately on reaching the £2.5k required spend – on top of the standard £1:1MR that works out at 3 MRs per £1, double the BA Amex rate if converted to Avios at the standard rate, and holding out for the bonus offers could yield even more

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls